Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

Referral but Dr knows nothing about ASD

I went to my GP last year to ask for support with ASD/Aspergers from someone who knows about it. After waiting 9 months I've got an appointment with a Solutions Focussed Therapist in 2 weeks. I've seen this guy before and wasn't overly impressed and I know he has no experience with ASD/Aspergers.

Is it going to be worthwhile seeing him? Is it worth asking local health service to consider correct support options rather than keep referring me down the general route?

This is becoming a futile exercise!

I went to my GP last year to ask for support with ASD/Aspergers from someone who knows about it. After waiting 9 months I've got an appointment with a Solutions Focussed Therapist in 2 weeks. I've seen this guy before and wasn't overly impressed and I know he has no experience with ASD/Aspergers.

Is it going to be worthwhile seeing him? Is it worth asking local health service to consider correct support options rather than keep referring me down the general route?

This is becoming a futile exercise!

not completly futile,at least another institutionalised member of the nhs will gain some benefit from your superior knowledge od asd's,

the National Autistic Society do a bumper help pack.In it is a small peice designed to give your Gp ,it mught help if the Gp has'nt heard of it before.

And remember although it might feel like its futile nothing or very little will be done unless we hassle our GP's,as they are even more in the dark than many sufferers.Be determined you've already strted unravelling asd and have come a long way already!Good on you .

Edited by philipo

I'll speak to the Doctor I've been referred to in a couple of weeks and will quickly find out if my GP has just brushed me off to general psychiatric care. If he has I'll make a complaint to health board. I have no confidence to go back to my GP- he is really dismissive.

Thanks for advice :)