Sign in to follow this  
dee23

Hello - again

Hello all,

I posted for a while on here a few years ago about my partner, and thought i would drop in with an update.....

After much toing and froing between the GP and various other professionals, my partner was eventually assessed (by a psychiatrist and clinical psychologist i think, although i may be wrong after this much time)about a year ago now, and given a diagnosis of AS and ADHD. The ADHD bit came as a surprise, and created another learning curve :rolleyes:. The GP also suggested Dyspraxia as another issue, which A looked into - and found some relevant and helpful descriptions of traits and coping strategies, but he has no wish to "chase" any additional diagnoses!

I found a lot of knowledge and kindness here during a difficult time, so wanted to drop back in with the news that he is doing great these days. He had a rough time during and just after the diagnosis period, it knocked him for six a bit and he had some big crises. Now, though, he is on a real even keel. He has been learning to deal with some of the big stressors in his life - mostly work related - in a different way, and is much calmer and accepting of himself. We spent some time apart, which helped us to change old patterns, and "reappreciate" each other, i suppose. We have also been learning and adopting much clearer ways to communicate with each other. For two people who always had a pretty open and honest relationship in the first place, it has been interesting just what a big change that conscious effort around communication has had....

I am not trying to paint an idyllic picture, there are the ups and downs of any relationship, but in fact most of the time life is just ordinary. Which, considering the past, is an absolutly wonderful thing to be able to say.... :dance:

What's really nice, for me anyway, is a feeling that AS etc has just taken it's place in the overall scheme of things, it's just one more part of all the things that make up our lives together. I hope that makes sense?

Anyway, i still drop in here from time to time, and occasionally feel a comment coming on, so thought it would be polite to say hello again in the proper way first.

Lisa :)

(Mind you, most of the comments i feel moved to make are "humourous" replies to Off Topic threads..... :whistle: )