Sign in to follow this  
SjB1

Any tips for dealing with difficult behaviour in my son?!

Hi all

My son is nearly 4 and is being referred currently to get a possible diagnosis of Aspergers. I have a 1 year old too and I'm finding it very difficult to have them get on.

My older son is constantly wanting to dominate their play and my younger son's every move. He doesn't even want him to be allowed near the toys he wants to play with.

I feel like I'm constantly having to be a referree. I use the time out/naughty step method and reward charts for when he displays good behaviour e.g affection, sharing.

I want to enjoy my time with my boys!

Has anyone been through this and how did they deal with it?

He also will often snatch a toy away from my youngest and run off with it and place it out of his reach simply so he cannot have it! I find this very annoying as he doesn't even want it himself!

Thanks.

siblin rivallery normal the older one will be the dominating factor. Maybe you should seperate their toys into seperate boxes and labelled with a no sign for the other one. You have to establish rules and get your 4 year old to understand them. Turn taking is one issue my 11 year old has found very difficult,we have, with the school given him indications and times,where and when in the turn he is with a picture sign. Its not easy because he wants control and to win but it is getting better as he gets older though the competative nature of him still gets the better of him,but he does wait in a queue now very well. 4 is young and you will have to with determination and patience,establish who is boss and as you are the adult its you,so make the 4 year old understand you are boss,and use time out for calming down/penaltys. Children on the spectrum are still children and need to understand rules. Social ones are difficult but not impossible to learn. It will be stressful but you must persevere the results will be good ones in the end.