Sign in to follow this  
lindy2017

nurture Unit

Yesterday my sons tutor and i visited a nurture unit attached to local comprehensive school i was impressed and we hopeto gethim a place there at themoment he has tutor twice a week but school we are registeed with dont have the same facilities ......he is 12 years old and i think he has aspergers ....should be getting feedback soon from CAMHS.........so hoping to show him the unit next week he seems excited about it although he gets anxious about new things etc.......

When you say "nurture" unit, do you mean an autism unit? Are there other children with autism in the unit, and what level are they functioning at socially and academically? Do any of the teaching staff in the unit have an extra qualification relating to autism on top of their teaching qualification.

If he has Aspergers and anxiety, then I am assuming that he is not coping with learning in a mainstream classroom.

As he does not have a diagnosis yet, I presume he does not have a Statement?

Most Units need a Statement BEFORE the child can be allocated a place.

Has the visit with the tutor been arranged via the LA?

Is there a place available for your son? Have you been offered a place there in writing?

When you say "nurture" unit, do you mean an autism unit? Are there other children with autism in the unit, and what level are they functioning at socially and academically? Do any of the teaching staff in the unit have an extra qualification relating to autism on top of their teaching qualification.

If he has Aspergers and anxiety, then I am assuming that he is not coping with learning in a mainstream classroom.

As he does not have a diagnosis yet, I presume he does not have a Statement?

Most Units need a Statement BEFORE the child can be allocated a place.

Has the visit with the tutor been arranged via the LA?

Is there a place available for your son? Have you been offered a place there in writing?

Hi, Its not just for autistic children ...i think the other children have mainly social issues dont really know as iahve only visited the unit 3 times jsut before summer holidays started so will find out mor when we go.....there is only 10 children in unit and my son doesnt have statem ent yet but is going through the process ......my community mnetal health nurse informed me the staff are fully trained in dealing with children who have problems in all areas.......there is a place for him he will go for an hour with his tutor one day a week as he is only allocated 5 hours with tutor a week.....our tutor is lovley she was arranged through secondary school when we realised it would be hard for him to go to mainstream..........i will getting dx soon soon cant wait....being in limbo is not nice.........lindy