Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Ian Duncan Smith - does he have a hidden disability or is he just a git?

Thought I'd share this article:

Someone Told Me It Was OK"

Having recently been accused of "jumping the queue" when using the disabled toilet for a disabled (but not wheelchair bound) child by ignorant chavs, IDS's beahviour really Peeved me off!

I'm not convinced that this isn't just a nice bit of journalism. It seems to me highly probable that IDS (or his assistant) had asked if there was a loo IDS could use and had been told to use the disabled toilet. It's certainly happened to me when the disabled toilet has been the only one on the floor and I'm sure it has happened to others too.

Of course, there's no excuse for him not flushing after use... :shame:

I'm not convinced that this isn't just a nice bit of journalism. It seems to me highly probable that IDS (or his assistant) had asked if there was a loo IDS could use and had been told to use the disabled toilet. It's certainly happened to me when the disabled toilet has been the only one on the floor and I'm sure it has happened to others too.

Of course, there's no excuse for him not flushing after use... :shame:

mmm, except that the dsabled toilet was on another floor completely - I think it's more likely that he asked for a more private place to go as he couldn't POSSIBLY use the same toilet as the public!

mmm, except that the dsabled toilet was on another floor completely - I think it's more likely that he asked for a more private place to go as he couldn't POSSIBLY use the same toilet as the public!

No, it was on the ground floor, so may have been a consideration as he left the building. Just to make it clear, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here :devil: (love that phrase since finding out its origins :rolleyes:) not heading up IDS's fanclub :sick::lol:

The alternative is that the centre manager misheard 'IDS' as 'IBS' and had just completed disability awareness training so knew that IBS = need to use disabled loo... :unsure::lol:

:lol: :lol:

Of course it's possible to have a hidden disability AND be a git - the two aren't mutually exclusive. :whistle:

Probably slightly unfair on IDS if he was in an unfamiliar place and he was told to use it, but I suppose as a politician you have to be aware tht all your actions are open to scrutiny.

Hope he washed his hands. :sick:

Is it wrong to use a disabled loo if you're not disabled?

I must admit to having nipped into a disabled loo for a wee knowing I can be in and out in less than a minute (and that includes flushing :lol:) and after a quick check to see if anyone else is approaching. I do this at my local M&S for example where there are only 3 toilets, one of which is the disabled loo and which is statistically likely to be empty most of the time. I always feel a bit guilty though.

K x

I don't see any problem in using a disabled loo if you're not disabled and no one who is, is waiting for it. The whole point of disabled toilets is to provide disabled people access to usable toilets, not preferential access. If non-disabled people have to queue for the loo, I don't see why disabled people should not have to also.

I use disabled toilets when there's a queue for the ladies and the disabled toilet is sitting there unused, and I don't feel guilty about it. The only time I've ever been criticised was when I did so in an IBS-emergency, and when I came out a person in a wheelchair was waiting outside. I genuinely needed to use the disabled toilet on this occasion (the ladies was further away and up a flight of stairs), but you wouldn't have been able to tell that by the time I came out.

I don't see any problem in using a disabled loo if you're not disabled and no one who is, is waiting for it. The whole point of disabled toilets is to provide disabled people access to usable toilets, not preferential access. If non-disabled people have to queue for the loo, I don't see why disabled people should not have to also.

I use disabled toilets when there's a queue for the ladies and the disabled toilet is sitting there unused, and I don't feel guilty about it. The only time I've ever been criticised was when I did so in an IBS-emergency, and when I came out a person in a wheelchair was waiting outside. I genuinely needed to use the disabled toilet on this occasion (the ladies was further away and up a flight of stairs), but you wouldn't have been able to tell that by the time I came out.

that's why disabled toilets are for disabled people, and shold not be used by non-disabled people who CAN queue without any major problems. not all disabilities are about wheelchairs, or even mobility issues (as we`all know!) and a lot of disablities require a more immediate access to a toilet...

I regularly use the diabled toilets in my local Tesco for myself or my son. I have never seen it used by anyone diabled and there is never a queue for the normal toilets but as I often have to go with kids in tow and my little boy is terrified of the hand dryers. I also use it in my local GP surgery as son usually needs to go when we are waiting and if I send him in and stand at the door I can watch he's ok and still hear if my name gets called into Dr.

If I am unusually out alone or hubby in tow and kids not needing so can stay with him then I only use the regular toilets.

Edited by dekra