Sign in to follow this  
Mishmash

Wish us luck!

Hi, not been on for a while ... for some reason i couldn't access the site. Ah well. After a long hard slog, we have my son's (9) first assessment tomorrow with the County Paediatrician. Not sure what to expect or what will happen. My son is getting himself in a bit of a state and has decided he is NOT going to talk to her - we'll see. I'm sure he'll be fine. The main problem will be the fact that he probably will talk to her, and give eye-contact and be sociable and so on, because that is what he has "learned" to do, and he knows that's how people act, even if he doesn't understand why. Maybe I should "wind" him up before hand? :rolleyes:

anyhow, wish us luck:)

Mish

Hope today went well.

I had the first assessement for my 4 year old last week and I tried to leave things to the SALT and paediatrician to interact with him and had minimal input in their direct observations so I could not influence his behaviour and they could get the best idea of his behaviour and abilities possible. It seemed to work - these people are trained to ask the right questions and set the right tasks appropriate to assess the children referred to them so winding your son up shouldn't be neccessary.

Ack winding him up was not necessary! The paed checked his reflexes, asked him what he did in the hols and proceeded to ask me about him for over and hour! she will send form to school to fill in and one for me for home, referring him to CAHMS and got another appointment after half-term. she tells me it could take up to 2 years before we get any answers! Argh! Well at least it's a start I suppose!:)

Mish

Ack winding him up was not necessary! The paed checked his reflexes, asked him what he did in the hols and proceeded to ask me about him for over and hour! she will send form to school to fill in and one for me for home, referring him to CAHMS and got another appointment after half-term. she tells me it could take up to 2 years before we get any answers! Argh! Well at least it's a start I suppose!:)

Mish

Its a pain in the ###### how long it all takes,I'm still waiting for a diagnosis for my son who's 4 and it's been since last December,the pediatrician says it'll be high functioning autism and "something else",but can't formally dx him till he's also been seen in the communication clinic,it's long.also my 14 year old has been given his date for his first appt after being referred by salt at his school,I feel for you it takes so long.xx