Sign in to follow this  
loulou

refusing a school placement

Hi everyone (major rant coming up!),

As you may know, Kai (age 6 ASD/ADHD) has been given a place at a special school and is due to start next week.

The school is EBD, which i'm not entirely happy about, as i've heard many people voicing concerns about the suitability of EBD schools for children with ASD.

Kai has been out of school for 15 months now, following a very awful experience in a main stream school. Anyway, the school are expecting Kai to start FULL TIME from day one. I was under the impression that he would be gradually reintegrated back into school.

I've called the school 3 times about this now, but they don't seem to be budging. They said that in their experience, part time schooling "prolongs the agony for the child". I can see this may be the case for some children, but not for Kai. He has had hardly any social intereaction with anyone for the last 15 months, so just expecting him to spend 6 hours per day in a new school will be too much for him.

I've told them all of my concerns, and today i spoke to them again. They said they would still want to stick to Kai starting full-time! Now they have postponed his start date and are arranging a meeting with me.

No-one at the LEA will back me up on this. The SEN officer told me i should trust the school. The Ed-psych said she could see their point, but wouldn't give her opinion (she is the one who said Kai should be slowly reintegrated back to school in the first place!) :wallbash:

The only person i have on my side is Kai's Paediatrician, who said she would write to the school. I told the school the Paed supported me and they just said that different professionals will have different views :wallbash:

:oops: Sorry, Kai lent on the keyboard and posted this too soon! Ignore this one!

Edited by loulou