Sign in to follow this  
Hooverhoarder

Tax Credits disability element and Housing Benefit rates

Hi everyone, just a quick query!

About this time last year I went into self-employment after being on long term Incapacity Benefit. Since then, I've received Working Tax Credits - the standard amount, plus the disability element.

Should my Applicable Amount regarding Housing and Council Tax Benefit include the allowance for disability, ie the basic personal allowance of what was £65.45 plus the extra £28? If so, would this have been an admin error, as they would have seen my WTC letter that mentions receiving the disability element?

Thanks for any help!

Simon

I'm not sure about the figures you are quoting. But I did apply for council tax benefit and was intially refused. When I queried the refusal, it turned out that they had not even taken into account that we received the disability element of child tax credit for our child. Once that was taken into account we did receive Council Tax Benefit.

So I would phone them up, or make an appointment to see someone and go in with all your paperwork and go through it all with them.

In our city there is a benefits office that gives independent help and advice - maybe you have something similar? Phone your local authority and ask them if there is anywhere independent that can carry out a benefits check on you to make sure you are receiving the benefits you are entitled to.

Citizens Advice maybe able to help too.