Sign in to follow this  
baileyj

Has anyone had a brace?

Hi everyone, my Max (10) has to have a brace on his teeth, the dentist wants to refer him to the dental hospital rather than a local orthodontist as he feels the dental hospital are more experienced at dealing with special needs children. He asked me if I thought Max would cope with a brace. To be honest I just don't know, as I have no experience of it at all.

Does anyone else have a child who has had a brace, or has anyone on here had one, how did they/you cope?

Many thanks

Jo

Hi Jo,

Will (12, AS) has had a brace for nearly 2 years now. He isn't too bad at all about having it done. He did absolutely hate having the impressions made, but it was only a few minutes. When it is put in, or tightened, we have a couple of days of tears and tantrums, then he gets used to it. His dentist is very 'no nonsense' - and tells him not to be a baby if he winces etc., but this seems work ok for him.

My other son, (9,NT) however is a different matter. He hated her. He had to go to the dental hospital and be put out just to have a filling - and he will need a brace in 6 months - so I guess I need to brace myself for that one. (sorry, couldn't resist that). They were much better at dealing with him at the hospital, but sent me out of the room before they put him out, which he totally hated. Apart from that, they did seem to have a bit more time to explain each step to him before hand.

Don't know if that helps, but in answer to your question, Will has had a few rough days, but has coped pretty well.

Diane

Hi again,

Just remembered, one thing that did upset him, is when it hurt to eat, he was worried he'd never eat again - he loves his food. He kept screamign he would die from starvation - he didn't!! So maybe get some soup and ice cream in for first few days.

Diane