Sign in to follow this  
leeds_demon

New Research

Has anyone seen this research: Facial phenotypes in subgroups of pre-pubertal boys with autism spectrum disorders are correlated with clinical phenotypes carried out by Professor Kristna Aldridge and a team of researchers at the Univerity of Missouri?

So the question I have to ask is: what if you don't have the facial characteristics that signify autism, even though you have been diagnosed by a clinical psychologist, (which I have), or a consultnat psychiatrist?

Hi

I read an article on the subject and must admit to studying my son's face closely and thinking hmmmmmmnnnnnn – he doesn't have a very big gap betwen his nose and lips, etc. Trying to rationalise it, I think that it's not a definitive means of testing for ASDs, but rather a study that so far has shown a high instance of similar facial features.

Caroline.

I think this needs to be a much larger study. For example out of the total number of children in the sample just 5 were characterised as being in subgroup 2. I think it is hard to come to any conclusions about the facial characteristics of just 5 children.

Having said that, there have been a number of comments over the years about the facial characteristics of those on the spectrum.

My son does have a larger than average head. Wide deep set eyes, a wide mouth and straight eyebrows. He is also quite stunningly beautiful. There are other characteristics he does not have. But does that actually mean anything????

I can see that there might be a connection. But this study is just too small to draw any conclusions IMO.

Edited by Sally44

Well, in my experience, people with autism can be beautiful, plain or downright fugly...in other words, exactly like the rest of the human race!!

And no, we don't have 'special, beautiful eyes' either!! ;)

My own thoughts are that this is a mix of two things really: I think there can be a certain autistic 'expression', which has more to do with a lack of eye contact, etc. And then the rest is down to fond parents, 'cos we all think our own kids are garjuss, and quite rightly so!

There are facial characteristics for things like Fragile X, which presents with autistic characteristics, but that's a very specific chromosomal abnormality.

Bid :)