dekra

Approaching my GP

Hi guys,

Since I started my uni course I have found my old difficulties in group situations and with people in general are still there and need to be addressed in order for me to ensure I do well in my course and finally succeed in life. I've had too much of letting my issues influence the choices I make in a negative manner.

I went to see the enabling support advisor at uni today. She already knew I suspect I may have AS as the form I had to submit when I made the appointment needs you to outline why you are going to see them. I spoke to her and she has experience with ASD in general and specifically has worked with a number of AS students. She says a lot of what I am saying does point to AS and whilst she is not qualified to give a diagnosis she does believe I should approach my GP and pursue a dx. She feels that whilst there is no active things that can me done they can do little things like warn me in advance of group work sessions and when I am out on placement my mentor can be asked to be specific about what she wants me to do or not want me to do so I'm not feeling more uncomfortable and out of place than neccessary. She has given me some info leaflets and I've to let them know if my GP agrees to send a referal to the relevant people.

Was nice to be able to verbalise my problems with things and my concerns that I will allow my issues to control me and result in a poor performance at uni when academically I am able to do well. She listened and took me seriously and importantly did not think I was either mad or that it was all in my head. She understood about coping mechanisms and that being able to make myself do things was not the same as being able to do them in the same way an average person would IYKWIM.

Anyway I am rambling but I now have a GP's appt for 10th Nov to discuss further and maybe get the ball rolling on a dx.

Sounds as though it was a very useful meeting. Universities seem to be very clued up on the support side- at least that's been my daughter's experience of the universities she's applied to and the one she's at now.

Good luck with the next stage: I.e. approaching your GP.

K x

Good luck and pleased you found a supportive department at university.

Mine isnt clued up on how to support me.

Thanks Kathryn and Trekster.

I think mainly I am going down this route for 3 reasons.

1. To understand myself more. Knowing about and accepting I may have AS has already helped me understand a lot of my behaviours and differences but I feel a formal dx will help me stop obsessing about if I am or not. Talking over somethings with my mum today and she tells me I am not obsessing about my past obsessions lol. She is trying to be supportive but at every turn when I try to explain how I felt about things in my childhood she explains them away. I was a notoriously fussy eater as a child and I asked if she knew from anything I said at the time if it was due to texture at all. She said no you were just fussy. OMG yeah I know that but there must have been a reason why and I was trying to see if she could help me identify the reason.

2. If I do have AS then I do not want to blame it for a lot of bad choices I have made in my life but it helps me explain to myself why I made those bad choices IYKWIM. Knowing not only my previous history of choices both good and bad is a guide for the future and understanding the reasons behind those choices again help me in the future. I want to make sure I give my best at uni and knowing my own failings and trying to avoid old traps will be essential.

3. I think I owe it to my son that I pursue a dx. I think this because in future years if he asks about it all if I say well I think I have AS but no dx then he will ask why I pursued his dx but not my own.

Well today is the say I bring the subject up with my GP.

I am very nervous to do this. This GP has seen me at my worst. I feel self-conscious enough admitting I am now a student nurse and expecting him (and the practice nurse who I see this morning for blood tests too) judging me on the fat, scruffy mess I used to be. They shouldn't but I still expect them to. So bringing up AS terrifies me. I choose this Dr as I generally find him understanding and knowledgeable but I am still concerned about my concerns being derided and dismissed. But now I have decided to pursue this course of action I plan to see it through and if this GP won't co-operate then I will change GP surgeries later in the month when I move house and ask a fresh Dr with no preconceptions of me. That said I hope to not need to move surgeries as I think for myself husband and son the continuity of care would be better given our histories we don't need yo start again with Drs that don't know us.

Well today is the say I bring the subject up with my GP.

I am very nervous to do this. This GP has seen me at my worst. I feel self-conscious enough admitting I am now a student nurse and expecting him (and the practice nurse who I see this morning for blood tests too) judging me on the fat, scruffy mess I used to be. They shouldn't but I still expect them to. So bringing up AS terrifies me. I choose this Dr as I generally find him understanding and knowledgeable but I am still concerned about my concerns being derided and dismissed. But now I have decided to pursue this course of action I plan to see it through and if this GP won't co-operate then I will change GP surgeries later in the month when I move house and ask a fresh Dr with no preconceptions of me. That said I hope to not need to move surgeries as I think for myself husband and son the continuity of care would be better given our histories we don't need yo start again with Drs that don't know us.

Hi, Good luck for today tell him how it really is and affects your life and work that was my worry when convincing locum gp in my practise when i wanted my son to be seen by CAMHS...luckily he lsitened and he is now dx with aspergers which has heped us alot as a family to cope now......not in limbo land .......good luck...lindy

Thanks Lindy.

Well I have been and he was ok, emphasised how AS is not a disability like more profound ASD and said not much can be done on NHS. I said all I needed was uni support which uni are happy to provide but they need of not a dx at least me to be on the process of a dx. He is doing a letter to psychologist but doesn't know if they will just refuse to look at me.

Any news on getting a diagnosis? He is wrong that AS isnt a disability or that much cant be done on the NHS (just that they cant be bothered to treat the secondary stuff associated with ASD IME).

My husband suffers from OCD and he mentioned to his psychiatrist last week who agreed I should not have been refused out of hand. I have to contact him directly and he will see what can be done. Ironically except for a dc I don't want help or treatment from the NHS, I just need the dx to get support from uni.

Hi Dekra

Has your request for assessment been refused? That's what it sounds like you're saying :(

I'm starting the fight again soon for an assessment. It is such a cop out to say that AS is not a disability like more profound ASD. That may be the case in the sense that many of us are married / in relationships and have kids who to all intents and purposes do not require 'support' in the strictest sense. However, I think it is very short-sighted of GP's and mental health services not to realise that just getting some 'help' in terms of adjustment in the workplace and (like you) some help while studying will help those with AS cope better and therefore experience less stress, ultimately relieving pressure on mental health services from all of us needing psychiatrists, therapists and any other ists there are due to getting ridiculously anxious and depressed..... I don't know about you but just knowing has meant that I have already learned a great deal about what has caused my problems all these years.

So Good Luck and I really hope you get somewhere soon! BTW, I stumbled across a great article the other day which I intend to use because virtually everything that I brought up in therapy is covered in it! It is the (long) foreward to Liane Holliday Willey's new book 'Safety Skills for Asperger Women - How to save a perfectly good female life', written by Tony Attwood and it describes me to a T! It might just describe you too?

Lynda :)

Going to ask my autism university email list if you can get support without a diagnosis and how.

Will let you know if something useful comes up.

Thanks, sorry I was expecting you guys to be psychic lol. Psychology refused to consider seeing me unless I present with a condition that can be treated!

One of the students on the list i was asking about replied with this comment that might help you;

"Do they have any kind of diagnosis at all, for example anxiety, depression?

Sometimes it may be better to apply on the basis of an existing diagnosis

just to get through the first hurdle, and then sort out the proper kind of

support needed during the assessment."