Dextersmummy

Hi im new

My baby boy has Just turned 2. I have had a "feeling" something has been going on since he was about 2months old. He had hand flapping from about 3weeks old, he was also late to smile. He didn't sit until 9mths, walk until 19mths and he comando crawled at 1. He's only just learnt to roll over. He has no speach he can use apart from mummy an dad. All other words are babbles. He ha a huge temper from age of 1, some days he will scream none stop.

Toke me from 1 to 18mths to get help, noone would listen, was all to quick to blame me.

He has started to really really hate change! If he has to be moved from one room to other he screams and screams, people look at you as if he's a problem child! He hates when things don't go right, say if he's lining his toys up and one falls over he gets mad. He does point to things I say and he does give eye contact, he hates to be held/hugged or kissed. He still does arm flapping if he's very excited. He also bangs his head on his carseat/pushchair. He Hates feeling restrained.

He loves transport, anything that moves/spins! He will sit for hours just rolling cars back and forward but he can also sit and watch tv for hours if I let him.

He hates water, hates anything on his hands.

We saw peditrition yesterday and he said he has autism traits and global development delay. He ha had a blood test for fragile x syndrome too. Does it sound like he does have autism? In about 90% sure he does tbh. I feel I have let him down

Hi

Welcome to the forum,hope you will find some of the discussions helpful.

I have four boys the middle two,Sam(8) and Dan(5) both have a diagnosis of ASD. Like you I could sense something was not quite right with either of them since they were babies(weeks/months old)

Has your GP referred you on to someone who can give you a diagnosis? I think you are in a fortunate position because if he does have autism he is still young so can get the help early on such as speech and language therapy.

They may give him a diagnosis of global development delay or autism but as he gets older they may change the diagnosis,usually after he has started school. This way they can say exactly where he is on the spectrum. So his speech may have improved and he may be doing well at school so maybe high functioning or there may be little or no change and get a diagnosis of kanners.

Whatever happens never blame yourself. I have done this when both boys were diagnosed. I did say even if I am not a good mum I can change that and I done a 12 weeks parenting class 3 years ago, the lady cut it down to 6 weeks as she felt I was doing well. I have also learnt through forums like this, and now Sam's ASD unit at school, different behaviour techniques which I have put in place for 2 years and things are improving for all four boys. Everyday is different and life is never straight forward but I do feel that the earlier the intervention the better, so good luck.

Thank you :). I contacted my dr and was told he was a normal tantruming boy. He wasn't. I got in touch with my HV about 10x before she referred me, didn't take too long tbh. Iv been blamed, told it was my falut for having postnatal desprrasion and I need to go back and treat him like a baby again so he can lean the stuff he's missing?! Lol!

Sat down and wrote the words he can/will use and ifs at 6 ATM. He can copy some words but he doesn't use them.

Some days he can act "normal" and it's like nothing is wrong but most days he has the signs there.

He's such a gorgeous little boy. He doesn't play well with other children but can play with his older sister but on his terms. He starts nursery on Monday so hopefully he will be okay! Dreading it abit, I really hope to get a dignosis asap so we can the help we need :(

Firstly - DO NOT blame yourself. PND can happen to anyone and does not account for the level of difficulties it sounds like your little one faces. It sounds like you are now getting the processes in place that will lead to full dx and provision of SALT is underway so that is positive. Try not to focus on the negatives but on the positives and take it one day at a time if things are getting on top of you.

Welcome to the forum, Dextersmummy :)

From what you say, things seem to be moving in the right direction as far as professional involvement is concerned and whatever is going on with your son, early identification and support will help him immensely.

I hope all goes well with the nursery start and that he settles in well - it's a daunting time for parents!

K x

Edited by Kathryn