Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Meeting in school tomorrow

Tomorrow i'm meeting 'the Team' at my son's new school.

We will be discussing how and when we gradually integrate him into school.

I'm so happy :thumbs: I never thought this day would come.

I've not heard anything from the LA at all since the Tribunal. Is there a legal timescale that the LA have to keep to after a Tribunal to re-issue the Statement and organise transport???

In the meantime I will tell his school that I am happy to transport him, if they are happy to begin reintroducing him to the school routine.

I just hope we manage to do it.

Since the Decision I have told my son he will never have to go back to his old school again. We've seen some amazing improvement since then. He has stopped spitting, and now appears much happier and relaxed to go out of the house.

He's still hand washing though - which is also causing, or related to, weekly outbreaks of hives. He always starts with a triangular red rash between his thumb and other fingers, which then develops within minutes into a red prickly, lumpy rash. Thankfully it responds to antihistamines.

He is very worried about germs and getting contaminated. He has a real problem picking up his dirty underwear and putting it in the laundry and seems genuinely scared to touch them[he's okay with his other clothes], because he thinks they've got germs on them. So I decided to do the "dance with his pants on my head" whilst twirling his dirty socks, to prove the point that I was not contaminated, and I didn't become ill.

The look on his face was a picture. A cross between utter disgust and high amusement. Hopefully this is yet another thing that will lessen.

We've also got an appointment with Clinical Psychology tomorrow and I will talk to them about whether they think any medication to help with sleep or the OCD anxieties are worth taking.

He definately says that although he understands what I am saying that he will not get comtinated, that his brain is telling him different and he has to obey what his brain is telling him because it does not stop until he does it.

Ah.bless him,best of luck Sally,xxxx

I've not heard anything from the LA at all since the Tribunal. Is there a legal timescale that the LA have to keep to after a Tribunal to re-issue the Statement and organise transport???

It's 5 weeks to issue an amended statement but 2 weeks to change the name of the school. I think it would be a good idea to check with SEND which deadline applies in your situation.

So I decided to do the "dance with his pants on my head" whilst twirling his dirty socks, to prove the point that I was not contaminated, and I didn't become ill.

You've finally flipped. Must be the stress. ;):D

Hopefully the obssessive behaviours will lessen over time when your son is getting the right kind of support. My daughter had a big issue with germs when she was out of school and very stressed but this completely stopped when she became less anxious about her educational future.

Good luck with the meeting tomorrow

K x

The meeting in school went well.

Met the SALT and OT and class teacher.

The school have already been in touch with the LA and they have already stated that they will not contest the secondary placement. So he will be at his new school until age 19. So that is something else to celebrate.

Went to ClinPsych today, and they've agreed it would be useful to see the Paediatrician to talk about getting some melatonin to help him get a good nights sleep. So waiting for an appointment for that.

He will begin at his new school next Thursday afternoon. And SALT and OT are going to do a home visit next week.

So, all good news so far. Can't believe it actually. The Deputy Head said that it will take me quite some time to stop worrying that this isn't temporary - apparently that is usually the case for parents who have been trying to get needs met for years - it takes some time for it to finally sink in that they can actually stop now ...

All great news Sally :thumbs:

I'm sure your body has been in a prolonged state of 'fight' for so long that not only will you take a while to get your head round all the good news, but I'm sure there will be readjustments to your body chemistry too - I think you'll either lose a load of weight or put it on!! But hey - what a wonderful position to be in :D

Hope he loves his new school/x

Edited by Grace

All the best tomorrow! Hope it goes without a hitch. It's really great news :thumbs:

So glad for u Sally,your life will change now, u will have more time for you and not need to worry as all his needs will be met, there is a time scale for the lea to sort this all out, but in our case they didn't keep to it and the tribunal admitted there wasn't a lot they could do about it, but it has been ordered by the tribunal and it will happen and it will be the best thing u have ever done , believe me xx

Excellent news! Your success story gives those of us just starting down that road a great deal of hope!

I hope so. It took me a number of years. And often it is the case that it is only when you get to the stage where the child is out of school, extremely anxious, self harming etc that you are able to prove that the current placement/provision/therapy is not working.

But you need evidence in reports to prove your case and counter what the LA says. It is hard not to take it personal when the LA fight you every inch of the way. But it is all down to cost and them trying to save money. It is just the system.

All great news Sally :thumbs:

I'm sure your body has been in a prolonged state of 'fight' for so long that not only will you take a while to get your head round all the good news, but I'm sure there will be readjustments to your body chemistry too - I think you'll either lose a load of weight or put it on!! But hey - what a wonderful position to be in :D

Hope he loves his new school/x

I am hoping to shed a load of weight, not gain any more. Lots of late nights, snacking whilst preparing paperwork is not good for the siluette. Infact i'm boarderline diabetic, and the GP has told me that if I get another abnormal blood test that that will confirm the diagnosis. So I really need to lose some weight and join an exercise class PDQ. :ph34r:

So glad for u Sally,your life will change now, u will have more time for you and not need to worry as all his needs will be met, there is a time scale for the lea to sort this all out, but in our case they didn't keep to it and the tribunal admitted there wasn't a lot they could do about it, but it has been ordered by the tribunal and it will happen and it will be the best thing u have ever done , believe me xx

That was the first thing the school told me. That I needed to really accept that the fight was now over. That the LA had already confirmed to them that they would keep him at his current placement until age 19 unless the placement was not working. They have other children from my authority at their school, and they said that once a child is placed with them my LA is very consistent in keeping that placement. They just said that they fight tooth and nail to win at tribunal, but once they lose they just accept it and move on to the next child.

I'm just on egg shells until we manage to get him in. He will be the youngest in his class. I just want the next few weeks to go smoothly and for him to be happy. If this placement doesn't work due to his anxiety, then we are well and truely stuffed.

His OCD type behaviour and fears are getting greater all the time. He is back sleeping in the same bed with his dad. I managed to find out that this is because he feels his bed is 'contaminated' because he says there is fluff and hairs on it. So I will change his bed to see if that changes. He is struggling to touch things, change his clothes etc. He is washing his hands so much they are red, itchy and very sore.

Clinical Psychology have contacted the Paediatrician so we can talk to her about Melatonin, and they recommended I contact the Psychiatrist to talk about Prozac. I really do not want him on medication. But at the same time, if it supports him back into school and is used on a short term basis, then that might be the way we go.