Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Old Friends

Just lately I've had a lot of letters from family and friends. At my brother's funeral I saw a lot of people I'd not seen for a long time and we've renewed contact by letter. It's been nice writing to them and I've had a few invites which I hope to take up.

One person I've renewed contact with is a girl I was at school with until the age of 8. We stayed in touch for quite a while but eventually drifted apart. Fortunately our mums were friends and have stayed in touch and we were able to contact each other and we met up for lunch yesterday. It was really nice to see her again, although a little bit like meeting a new person after all those years! We hope to meet up again.

Then there have been two close friends from secondary school who I felt would want to know about my brother, but I'd lost touch with. I eventually wrote to the parents of one of them, who was my bridesmaid at my wedding, and fortunately they had not moved house and passed on my letter to my friend. On Friday I received a reply and she suggests meeting up, which will be really nice.

The other I have only tracked down on Facebook this evening and got her email address from there and sent her an email to tell her. I haven't heard back yet - it's been a whole hour now, she obviously has a life or something!!! She was my very bestest friend from school and it would be nice to be in touch again.

There are some old friends I do not wish to reconnect with though! Fortunately none of them have tried.

Edited by Tally

Hope you hear from your bestest friend soon. :) Facebook has its uses!

It's good to get back in touch with old friends, although I'm sure you wish the circumstances bringing you back together had been different.

K x

That's lovely Tally :D

Over half term, I met up with my two close friends from student days...one from Canada I hadn't seen for 20 odd years. I posted a wonderful piccie on FB of the three of us circa 1988...it was really funny to see my Canadian mate, who now has a grey beard and a tum and looks a bit like Father Christmas! And back in the day he was sooo dishy :lol: Oh, and when I explained about my AS dx, he laughed and said "I just thought you were a bit weird!" hehehe ;)

I hope you have as much fun as I did when you meet up with your old friends >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Facebook has actually been really useful. We used it to contact a lot of people David had known at 6th form college, university and the rowing club. He kept his friendships very compartmentalised, so even his close friends often did not know friends from other groups. Without Facebook, a lot of people still wouldn't know.

The friend I met yesterday lost her dad when she was very young, so she kind of "gets" it more than others who didn't know David. But everyone is being really supportive in their own ways. It's also nice to reconnect with old friends and hear their news - especially when it's good news. So at least there is some positive coming out of it.

My mum's college flatmate has invited me to stay with him and his partner in York. He says I don't have to hang out with "us oldies," but actually if I go I'm hoping they will show me around York. He bought me a nice fountain pen for my 18th birthday, which I still use.

Still no email . . . maybe she just doesn't use the internet very much. She doesn't seem to use Facebook very much but that might be more to do with privacy, she's always been very private. So I don't know whether she hasn't seen my email yet, or maybe she has and just doesn't want to talk to me.

At least I have got back in touch with two old friends though.