Sign in to follow this  
Gutcruncher

Where can I get help if social services and NAS won't even reply?

Sorry to ask this at Christmas time. I should be thinking of that, but Christmas is meaningless to me, I don't have the income to enjoy it, and the condition affects me so much, no amount of frivolous festivities can distract me from that.

Basically, I have been turned away from social services and mental health services for the six and a half years since I left university. I have had literally no support since then. I haven't worked because I am not able to unsupported, and honestly 99.9% of employers would consider me unemployable because of my label, so the competitive market mechanisms for getting employment bars me from work. I have tried self employment but it is far far too stressful, I had a breakdown and haven't recovered years later. (I also have no "skills" as I am an academic person.)

I need help getting supported work, but actual work with a paying wage, not workfare slavery. As I can't get social services help or support or funding, I don't know where or how to get hold of this. I may have to pay out privately to get support, but I'd need to be working in the first place to afford that, and it'd have to be a decent job with a decent (stable) income. What can I do? Short of winning the Lottery, how can I get the money together?

Hi Gutcruncher.

Don't panic too much, even though right now you might be thinking, 'how am I going to cope?' First of all apply for either ESA or DLA. ESA is for people who are too ill to work and it would appear that you might be too 'ill' to work. Apply for DLA - this takes time and the form is rather long to say the least. Provide a supporting statement, outlining your difficulties. Unfortunately, the DLA application form doesn't take into account the particular problems associated with Aspies.

Contact your local Social Services and ask them what they are doing with regards to the National Autism Strategy, if they reply that they don't know what it is, suggest to them that they should. If you get no joy, then contact your local MP explaining your situation and that your local Social Services department is useless. However, I don't think that Social Services might be able to help; you might need to speak to someone in your local Adult Sevices - the department that is responsible for the care of vulnerable adults.

With regards to self-employment, it can be a bit stressful, but if you have certain skills - i.e research skills, then you can put these to good use. I do telemarketing and although it is boring and I don't get paid a lot, I am in charge of myself - I am not beholden to work colleagues or bosses. Have you thought about becoming a researcher, or maybe becoming a consultant - offering advise to companies, with regards to the Disability Discrimination Act. By the way, employers are required to make reasonable adjustments for employees who are disabled.

Are you able to learn new skills, which you can then utilise - for example, learning how to design websites, or how to design jewellery. Have you been to your local CAB? If not, you should, they may even help you fill out the DLA and ESA forms.

As for the NAS, they're not much cop, to be honest.

Contact your local Social Services and ask them what they are doing with regards to the National Autism Strategy, if they reply that they don't know what it is, suggest to them that they should. If you get no joy, then contact your local MP explaining your situation and that your local Social Services department is useless. However, I don't think that Social Services might be able to help; you might need to speak to someone in your local Adult Sevices - the department that is responsible for the care of vulnerable adults.

Done all that. Waste of time. Sent in a circle, organisation X says go away, organisation Y is where you get help. Organisation Y sends you back to organisation X and suggests organisation Z as an alternative, organisation Z sends you back to X and Y. It's no good at all ever contacting social services.

I wrote to my MP asking what to do, the NAS and Wessex Autistic Society won't help, explaining that they won't help, neither will social services which will be needed to fund NAS or WAS. The MP just wrote back with contact details for NAS and WAS, obviously hadn't understood/read my letter. :(

With regards to self-employment, it can be a bit stressful, but if you have certain skills - i.e research skills, then you can put these to good use. I do telemarketing and although it is boring and I don't get paid a lot, I am in charge of myself - I am not beholden to work colleagues or bosses. Have you thought about becoming a researcher, or maybe becoming a consultant - offering advise to companies, with regards to the Disability Discrimination Act. By the way, employers are required to make reasonable adjustments for employees who are disabled.

I can't cope with self employment. I tried that once and had a breakdown and was sectioned, was inside nearly six months. I will never try self employment again unless I have one-to-one constant supervision and help, as otherwise I will end up in hospital again. That was a living hell, so violent, so unsafe, I never want to risk that happening again. I cannot use a phone or organise myself and have no "skills" so I cannot manage self employment. I need employment where I am constantly looked after, and most importantly, know what I'm doing when. I have massive problems knowing what to do when, I can't manage without that sort of help.

Are you able to learn new skills, which you can then utilise - for example, learning how to design websites, or how to design jewellery. Have you been to your local CAB? If not, you should, they may even help you fill out the DLA and ESA forms.

I applied for DLA and got turned down. I had CAB fill out my forms. They put "personality disorder" as my problem on the forms, saying that is what Aspergers is, but I know it isn't. But that's what they put down and how the form went off. I had to see a doctor 6 months later, to see if I could walk and hear properly etc, and was rejected. You can't get DLA is you have Aspergers if they check you for physical problems. (Yes it was DLA, Disability Living Allowance).

DLA- u have to be under someone to receive it. You need to show you need someone looking after you. like im under my nurse

I've not been given anyone to support me, I haven't ever. I got learning support at school, college and university, and that was it. If you say to a GP, where do I get help, they say NAS or WAS, who won't help, or send you to "mental health" people who say, Aspergers isn't a mental health condition, or Aspergers is a new condition, we don't know much about it or whether it's "real", or you don't even get that far.

In this economic climate where there are loads of talented, skilled and experienced people who have been made redundant, you have to be realistic-you have a lot of competition and your dream job isn't going to drop into your lap. Why not stop thinking about what you can't do and focus on what you do have to offer employers? If you can't think of anything, what skills can you get to make yourself employable? And in the meantime, why not go for anything- even if it's badly paid- just to build up some experience and show yourself and others that you can handle a work routine? Stop making excuses and feeling sorry for yourself- nothing' worth having is going to come to you on a plate so if you really want something you're going to have to step outside your comfort zone a bit.

In this economic climate where there are loads of talented, skilled and experienced people who have been made redundant, you have to be realistic-you have a lot of competition and your dream job isn't going to drop into your lap.

I never ever stated that I thought that a "dream job" would happen. I mean any form of employment. I literally have never worked before, despite wanting to work and always applying for work when expected of me. I am not a refusenik.

If you can't think of anything, what skills can you get to make yourself employable?

I would be more employable if my Aspergers disappeared. Otherwise, if you means courses/qualifications, I literally cannot afford to get any more. You don't get them free or cut price if you are on benefits if you already have A-levels or above, as I do (all straight A grades, I'll add ;) ).

And in the meantime, why not go for anything- even if it's badly paid- just to build up some experience and show yourself and others that you can handle a work routine?

I apply for "badly paid" jobs. I always have. I apply for the most basic entry level minimum wage jobs and fail to get them. I don't apply for literally "anything" as there are some jobs I wouldn't be capable of doing (e.g. anything involving driving, or a job at anywhere that would require a car journey, as I have epilepsy and thus cannot get a driving licence).

I would appreciate it if I was allowed to answer other people here.

Look I AM:

1.) Applying for basic minimum wage jobs (thats all I apply for at the moment)

2.) i'm not expecting miracles/an ideal job straight away.

3.) in a position where I can't afford new courses/qualifications to acquire new skills

DLA- u have to be under someone to receive it. You need to show you need someone looking after you. like im under my nurse

I'm applying for DLA and I'm not being looked after by anyone. People with AS can apply for DLA as we are disabled. There is also the 'meal test', whereby if yoy can't prepare a meal from scratch, then you might get help. I mainly eat ready meals as I get stressed out cooking a meal from scratch. Also, it takes me ages to get round to put a meal in the oven to be cooked. I think to myself that I should eat before 6pm/7pm, but I end up eating around the 8pm mark.

I've not been given anyone to support me, I haven't ever. I got learning support at school, college and university, and that was it. If you say to a GP, where do I get help, they say NAS or WAS, who won't help, or send you to "mental health" people who say, Aspergers isn't a mental health condition, or Aspergers is a new condition, we don't know much about it or whether it's "real", or you don't even get that far.

WAS are awful. my friend has autism and her IQ is pretty high though but is under the mental health team because she needs support works 1 because of her medical conditions physical ones, 2 she lives alone and has no longer a carer because her friend who used to care for her decided not to anymore

I'm applying for DLA and I'm not being looked after by anyone. People with AS can apply for DLA as we are disabled. There is also the 'meal test', whereby if yoy can't prepare a meal from scratch, then you might get help. I mainly eat ready meals as I get stressed out cooking a meal from scratch. Also, it takes me ages to get round to put a meal in the oven to be cooked. I think to myself that I should eat before 6pm/7pm, but I end up eating around the 8pm mark.

but usually u have to be under someone cos dla pays for care.

I need help getting supported work, but actual work with a paying wage, not workfare slavery.

I need employment where I am constantly looked after, and most importantly, know what I'm doing when.

I'm not sure those two things are compatible.

Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh in my last post. Obviously I don't know what you've done to get work - for all I know you could have been applying every single week since you left university. There's no shame in having tried and failed - there are hundreds like you in the same boat, trying to get work, and no shame in finding self employment too tough - it's to your credit that you gave it a go in the first place - many wouldn't have the courage so well done for that.

You're rightly very proud of your academic achievements and contrary to what you say, you do have some skills and some organisational ability or you wouldn't have made it through university. You've got to stay positive and focus on what you can do, and accept that the prime responsibility for making something of your life is yours. In all the posts you've made about your situation you come across as somewhat negative and lacking direction

Maybe you need help that's more career focused to help you analyse why you aren't getting any work, to work out how to market the skills and talents you have and where to get the training and experience to make yourself more employable.

In the meantime there's loads of voluntary work available out there - why not give it a go? It may seem pointless as it doesn't pay but it's good for your cv, good for building confidence and getting into a work routine and can even lead to paid work if you're lucky.

I really do wish you all the best and hope that you find something soon

K

You're rightly very proud of your academic achievements and contrary to what you say, you do have some skills and some organisational ability or you wouldn't have made it through university.

I have to admit that I got support at college and later university (a notetaker with me all the time, someone to see in the learning support department once a week to talk to tutors for me). Obviously I did all the academic work myself, all the essays, exams, everything, but I got help to manage. I need some kind of support to manage the workplace, to be honest. It seems like I will have to source and pay for that support completely privately... Which I won't be able to do without employment, and a decent level of employment at that. So I'm in an impossible situation.

Maybe you need help that's more career focused to help you analyse why you aren't getting any work, to work out how to market the skills and talents you have and where to get the training and experience to make yourself more employable.

Again, I have no idea where I'm meant to get that from. There's only NextSTEP which is free... and they couldn't help (said the usual go to the NAS response) after the two appointments you are allowed.

I may "lack direction", but that is because my long-held career ambitions are basically unaffordable or unobtainable, so I have no idea what to do. Yes, there are career questionnaires and tests, but they don't help if they suggest careers which would have required me to have taken completely different qualifications from age 14 onwards... :(

In the meantime there's loads of voluntary work available out there - why not give it a go? It may seem pointless as it doesn't pay but it's good for your cv, good for building confidence and getting into a work routine and can even lead to paid work if you're lucky.

I have been applying here and there but am turned away. I only apply for suitable voluntary work (nothing too 'social', nothing that requires driving, no heavy physical work) but that leads nowhere. I admit that I lack references, which doesn't help, and gets me turned down, as does declaring Aspergers. It's also frustrating as a lot of the local volunteer vacancies are very specific about what skills they require, but those skills they won't provide/train/qualify you in.