Sign in to follow this  
Ambriel

Problems with soiling

Our son (11) has had an Aspergers diagnosis for a few years now and has a problem with soiling.

His paediatrician initially diagnosed constipation and he has been diagnosed Movicol for when this appears to be bad, but this real problems are more practical.

He regularly (=daily) soils himself - both solids and liquids. He doesn't appear to have any realisation that he's doing it although he does deny it and often hides his soiled clothing. His bedroom reeks.

His primary school have been very supportive throughout but he'll be moving up to secondary school in the autumn and I'm dreading the problems he will have there if we can't solve the problem somehow.

He's been referred to a dietrician and we're waiting for an appointment but his usual paediatrician has now gone sick and isn't expected back for a couple of months.

It seems worst when he's doing something and all his concentration is fixed on it - he just seems to switch off awareness of everything that's not connected to what he's watching or doing.

We really don't know what to try next. We've tried discussing it with him, doing charts of when he uses the toilet, rewards, everything. He just agrees, and then carries on as before.

I'm sure we can't be the only ones with this problem but it's driving us up the wall.

Aside from this he's a happy, intelligent, friendly boy.

Apparently his sensory system doesn't feel/register that he needs to go.. and then it is too late..

Poor kid, he would love to 'comply' but his body is not working with him.. poor you too..

Have you been to a SI therapist yet?! Hopefully one from a multidisciplinairy team.

How are the eating/drinking habits.. Does he sense/feel a need to eat/drink?!

I know that my niece (adopted at 8 and thus with a lot of emotional scars and bagage..) wet her bed daily for years.. She got a special pare of undies, which would 'beep' when a bit wet.

It might be useful to time him.. Usually kids are very structured.. Than you know when you can expect him 'to have a need to go'. Time it on his watch/mobile..

Make it a custom, before leaving the house.. go to the toilet.

it might be useful to also look up other fora: with SI-kids, like ADHD etc, to encouter simular problems and creative/loving parents :D

Love, B'fly

I agree that an Occupational Therapist should really assess him for Sensory Processing Disorder and if he has this diagnosed he should receive a sensory integration programme. The problem you will have is that NHS OT's don't assess or diagnose SPD and the NHS does not fund sensory integration programmes.

I don't know how you would get OT input in Scotland. Have you spoken to any Independent OT's that are qualified to deliver a sensory integration programme and asked them HOW you would get OT input for your son? In England you will only get that input IF you win it at an educational tribunal, or you pay for it privately.

We managed to win at an Educational Tribunal recently and my son is now placed at an independent ASD specific school, which was our parental choice. There are OT's and SALT's employed by the school and my son sees them every day.

Severe constipation is also linked to anxiety. How is he coping in school?

He is getting blocked up, and then it is seeping around the blockage. Must be horrible for everyone.

I think that any medication has to be given on a daily basis, and not just when he feels blocked. He needs to be on it every day and, if possible, try to get into a morning routine where even if he does not feel the need, he goes and sits on the loo.

What kind of school is he at presently, and what is being suggested as an appropriate secondary school.

Edited by Sally44

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, folks.

I think we'll need to talk to him about going back on a steady dose of Movicol to try and help his regularity.

There definitely seems to be a problem with him recognising when he needs to go.

Being 11 he doesn't like being told what he has to do, which doesn't help either.

He's currently in his final year at primary school. Because of our location we don't have any choice in where he goes after this: there is only the one secondary school he can go to. Similarly access to medical professionals is difficult because of the distances involved.

There is supposed to be a community out-reach team but we've only seen them once and, to be honest, they didn't inspire me with confidence.

mine has periods of dirty pants,often when he is totally engrosed usually the pooter,i use movical as well,because his diet is very limited.He is on soya milk because we considered that diary milk might irritate his bowel. He is clean a lot more these days,he is 12 now and just in big school. I have got to the point of saying when he does mess up, "your fired!" like Alan Sugar says :lol: and try no to make a big thing out of it,he says he does not know why it happens and i believe him,he says he feels it but does not know why he does not do something about it, i have tried making him wash his own pants out,which did nothing to help and the best threat is :bancomp: for as long as i want,which works and then he makes a real concentrated effort to keep clean. So i suppose you need to find something to motivate and bribe him with,if he is aware and does nothing about it,like mine does,your obviously no its wrong because he trys to hide it.So find away to get him to want to be clean. It happens in mine i know when he is stressed and wants escape into pooter world.