Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Adult sized play equipment?

My daughter has been given a family fund grant for outdoor play as she loves the swings but because she's 16 she was getting up at 5am to go to the park when nobody else was there.

Our garden is not very large and quite slopey so we can't get much on there but they gave us a trampoline, which she loves and an Argos voucher for a single swing (anything bigger wouldn't fit) We don't want to appear ungrateful, because it's wonderful what they've done, but Argos don't do swings to take a 16 year old; she is adult size.

I've offered to send it back; they did say they'd consider an alternative. Any ideas around the £200?

I go an adult size swing, found the company on line. don't know now the company name. I just googled adult swing, but be warned including them two words and well Ill leave it to your imagination..

Have you thought about an adult swinging patio seat or a hamock set up if that is too expensive. In a way I think swings are for parks due to really strong associations we have with them, and for me they never seem to work in a garden setting in the same way. Given your daughters age my gut reaction would be to try am more adult style product and then you have the best of both worlds, hate to think of you giving up early morning trips to the park for a swing feel like I need to get out there and do just that right now!

As a garden designer/landscape architect I would say most childrens play equipment on the high street is not robust enough for the type forces an adult can exert, and whats the point of having a half hearted swinging session. To purchase a commercial product would be quite expensive for what you get and health and safety legislation means they might only hand it over if they can install it themselves adding to the cost again. The traditional approach is to find a tree as the structure. If you don't have a tree which I guess is the case then I would ask a local joinery firm to help using some timber posts, a few coach bolts and an old scafolding pole as a cross bar. This is possibly a better route as they can construct it to take into account any gradients in your garden. I would tell them your daughters story and wouldn't be surprised if they did it for the cost of the materials. Just a few thoughts.

marmoset.jpg

I got twin swing Adult size, the crossbar is about 8 ft high. it was around £200. it was self assembly.

There are a number of companies that can supply such a product. They do have an upper wight limit on them usually of 50KG.

At work there is one which adult much heavier than this use, the only difference to the one I have is that it has chains instead of rope.

Edited by chris54