Epic I am not surprised they are proud of you, well done.

At times due to my AS I found school to be very hard environment to be in and fit in but I always enjoyed learning new things and was prepared to work hard to develop my knowledge and skills. Keep focused on your education and work hard at developing your life skills as well as your academic ones but above all have fun doing so, congratulations.

Wow. They are very good grades.

My daughter got mostly 6m-6U with 7L for maths and I was very happy with that.

What do you hope to do when you leave education??

So mathematics is your thing I guess . . . so you would know this one

X^n+Y^n =/= Z^n for any integer

Otherwise known as the Ribet-Taniyama–Shimura conjecture or Fermat's last theorem . . .

Mathematics was never my strongest point always saw myself as a bit of a creative and maths was far too sterile in my misinformed view.

Later in life when I got together with my partner I spent a summer at her house and got to know her younger brother. Spent time that summer writting code for a comodore 64 with him as I remeber. He then went off to Cambridge to study mathematics with a string of A level grade A's. Must confess to wondering what do you do with this maths stuff when you finish.

A few years later over Christmas we hooked up for a big chat and asked him what he was working on at the time. He explained he was developing a computer simulation programme which was being used to programme micro robots that could be injected into your blood stream and act as an intelligent seek and destroy system for tackling very hard to get at virus strains without flooding the whole blood system with medication which can be counterproductive. I remember thinking so 'that's what you use maths for then'. When he was 18 all he wanted to do was use his maths to be a chief engineer in F1.

When we are at school we unfortunatly see areas of knowledge and study in abstracted terms packaged up for consumption which at times I feel is quite patronising to kids. Gaining knowledge is really exciting whatever our age its a pity as kids we can't always see where it can go, and often our teachers are not the most excitiong of role models, rather they are the people who only ever saw it as a subject and not as a tool for change.

When we are at school we are told to work hard and pass the exams, we are never really told what we could do with this stuff when we are older, the best we get is a list of stereotypical jobs.

I had the pleasure recently of living for a year at university with a guy who had achieved very little at school and has been in trouble with the law. As part of this process he was made to attend a basic skills course and as an adult for the first time in his life found the maths and science made sense and that he was motivated to learn. One thing followed another basic skills certificates, GCSE's, A levels, degree to when I met him studying for his masters in partical physics. I would go home at weekends he would fly to Cern to take part in experiments on their particle accelerator. The point is its never to late to learn and you have no idea where that knowledge may take you but there are very exciting journeys to be had if you put the effort in whic epicvolts clearly does.

On my first day at secondary school there was a notice on the maths department board.

"SCHOOL COMPUTER

All bookings are to be made via the head of mathematics and are limited to 1 hour per week per boy. 6th formers only may book the school computer."

This was 1982. The school had 1 computer. Things have moved on a tad since then.

Should note though that the really useful part of mathematics from my point of view - numerical methods - was a second year university topic, even at A level there was no real acknowledgement that no one actually uses the techniques being taught. It's like the Navy doing cutlass drill, terribly traditional but quite useless.

Edited by dm2010

So mathematics is your thing I guess . . . so you would know this one

X^n+Y^n =/= Z^n for any integer

Otherwise known as the Ribet-Taniyama–Shimura conjecture or Fermat's last theorem . . .

Ribet-Taniyama–Shimura theorem surely? Or does that refer only to "all elliptic curves are modular"? I have a wonderful proof of that but it's too long for this forum's word count. :lol: :lol: