Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Interim review

Finally received a letter from the LA after the Interim Review we had in December [which we had instead of the Transition Review [as we had had a Tribunal decison in November 2011].

I am happy to say that the LA are sticking with our parental choice of school and so he stays where he is for his secondary school placement. :groupwave: :groupwave:

I'm so relived i've finally got it in writing because my son moved school in year 6 and we had asked the Tribunal to look only at the primary years placement [because we felt we would win hands down on that, and we banked on the Tribunal being so close to the transition review, that the LA just would not attempt to move him again - and it looks like that has paid off.]

I even managed to have a nice chat with the inclusion officer who had been the bane of my life for so long. She seemed genuinely pleased that he was doing so well where he is. It is just a shame that they fought for so long opposing our parental choice of school.

Anyway, I am hoping that that is that for the time being.

After the half term holidays my son will be in school every day, and staying for lunch and then coming home. I can't believe we have achieved so much since November last year. He is so much better in himself. I would say "like a different child", but actually he is starting to be a calm and happy version of himself.

Edited by Sally44

sounds good im glad for you ive still got my son 2 hours tution a week in nurture unit he doesnt like going got a meeting inmarch to discuss.........

The trick is finding why he doesn't like going.

If the placement really is supporting him and meeting his needs and has a similar peer group, then it maybe down to anxiety.

For my son it was very high anxiety levels. The Paediatrician gave us a mild sedative which has helped get him to sleep at night by a reasonable time, and he reduces his general anxiety. So if you think that maybe a cause, then see your GP and ask to be referred to the Paediatrician that diagnosed him.

We also found a motivation in pokemon and yugioh, because his current placement has other children who are obsessed about this to the same level that he is, and therefore he wants to go into school to play these games with them. At my son's school they don't usually go outside to play. They can stay inside and are supervised by adults and they are supported to play together.

So we arranged that he would have one pokemon figure and would be allowed to spend up to £2.00/week on yugioh cards. And that has worked.

We also keep pointing out to him that when he gets angry/grumpy that it makes the situation worse, and that when he remains calm he feels better and so does everyone else.

Great news Sally all round - even the more positive relationship with the LA - conflict is so horrible that now you have got what you need for your son, you can enjoy not having to keep fighting - a hard, well-won fight that should never happened, but you have earned the right to relax.

Thanks.

I still can't believe we've actually achieved what we set out for. You just get into this mindset of the marathon runner, put your head down and just keep on pushing forward. Seems strange to know that we are finally there!!

I'm also glad because we've achieved it now. I was worried that with the government looking at SEN again, that all the rules and criteria around SEND might change and that he may have been excluded from this school in some way. Now that he is actually there, I think it would be very hard for them to move him.

The LA SEN department did send me a questionnaire to complete about what kind of support and services I would want for my son within a LA maintained school. I am just going to bin it. I don't want to say or comment on anything and it then comes back to bite me. It's awful to be so suspicious, but I just can't let my guard down completely yet.

He's already made friends in his new class.

I never thought he really had obsessions before, but I think he just did not know that you could collect cards/figures etc.

He knows all the Pokemon character names and what their powers are.

He knows all the yugioh card names and which combines with which. He's already beaten his friend at this game, so i'm hoping this other lad can deal with losing!! But just so nice to see him actually wanting to go in at dinnertime so that he can play these types of games with his classmates afterwards.

We are off to CAHMS tomorrow to talk about OCD behaviour and medication and therapy for that. Fingers crossed we get an agreement on how to move forward with this. It can be a bit like living with Howard Hughes [for those old enough to remember], with bits of toilet paper everywhere.