Sign in to follow this  
moncs

JoMarie

hi JoMarie I am sorry I couldn' email to you properly instead of putting it on the open forum but I don't know how to yet!

I am a parent and a teacher, with a son who has Aspergers . His school is terrible and know nothing about Aspergers So I have started a postgrad so i can ensure his school are meeting his needs . This couse will also inform my practice .

My theseis is:

What adaptations need to be made for a child with Asperger Syndrome in mainstream schools.

I will be discussing homework . On May 28th you posted:-

'I've always had problems with M regarding homework, his self esteem is so low that he thinks he can't do anything properly and the perfectionist in him truns the whole affair into such an ordel it often ends up wih a meltdown.'

I think this is such an important point and with your permission would like to include it in my theses . I can understand if you would rather I didn't . I wouldn't use it without your pemission.

thanks Monica

we seem to be one of the few families that have managed to solve the homework problem - Com was in meltdown virtually every night when he started high school, especially if it was written work.

fortunately for us Com is both motivated by academic achievement and obsessed with money - we linked an extra pound pocket money to homework done without complaint.

We give him an awful lot of support with it, especially with the tricky stuff like point of view things, but have so much less trouble now he can see his grades going up and his money coming in.

One of the problems with school and homework we have had repeatedly with Com is that he feels work should be paid for, he can't wait to be old enough to get that �30 a week that the government are offering disaffected kids for staying on at school - it's going to be tough when he discovers he really doesn't qualify for it (he won't believe me)

I know this system wouldn't suit or be appropriate for most AS kids, and I really think all kids should not have the level of homework they get, but I thought you might be interested in an unusual experience

Zemanski

Well done for sorting Com's homework problem out, I only wish my son was that easy

We've tried every motivation technique and because like many others he is a perfectionist none of it works, he ends up not wanting to do the homework or even go back to school. School have the same problems with him in several areas as his handwriting is very poor, he does try very very hard but has poor pen/pencil control and when he doesn't get it right he gets extremely upset.

hi JoMarie I am sorry I couldn' email to you properly instead of putting it on the open forum but I don't know how to yet!

For now, until you get the hang of private-messaging here, just click on this link to private-message jomarie. :)

James

Hi

We have our "big" meeting at school on Monday and obviously one of the main topics will be homework - our son hasn't been at school since before half term I could let you know what views the school have and how they say they are going to implement procedures when our son starts back in September Would this be of help?

Good Luck

Clarkie

Edited by Clarkie