Sign in to follow this  
Elaine Ingarfield

Guns

Simple answer, No.

I know from My time working in childcare, there was a general feeling that toy guns should be discourages, Banned at a lot of settings but that didn't stop the children pretending that whatever was at hand was a gun.

With my son it is/was traffic lights, and just recently Locks (Door locks?)

Edited by chris54

It cultural and impossible to avoid fully. I have a seven year old and though he has no guns in the house besides a water pistol which was on his santa list so what do you do?

Anything can become a gun or a sword, sticks, lego, mecano, playdo. His biggest thing at the moment is skylanders on the Wii, PEGI rating 7 so its age appropriate his favorite character has two guns!

My son does not have a diagnosis for ASD and is showing no traits yet so suspect he will not given my own diagnosis we have looked for them, but never say never. He has never been in trouble for fighting or any type of aggresive play at school, with his friends in the street or at any clubs he attends. I would be careful therefore about making any links with violent behaviour. As a child with AS I was pretty violent at times with my peers and was not interested in things like guns or swords as a kid. The truth is I couldn't control my emotions and lashed out at whatever or whoever was there to take the brunt of it. This was not right, I got punished for it rightly so and was something from inside me and never felt compeled to have a weapon of any form nor did I in any instances.

As such I would let him play how he wants as long as it is constructive, I don't like my son playing guns, he knows I don't but I do not stop him.

Just thinking when I was little, it was Cowboys and Indians, the western films on the telly. We just used our hand as a make believe gun.