Moby75

Children

Hi Moby

Yes I am a parent with AS but don't know how you would define "difficult" in this context. I don't have all the traits of AS but do have some of the most classic ones. Years of acute loneliness meant I thought I would never find a wife and settle down - clearly somebody loves me!

I recently told my daughter that I have AS and I think she has some of the same difficulties that I have. She is more of a "mummy's girl" than a "daddy's girl" but then I suppose I'm not at home much due to working all hours

Hi Robert

I can find it difficult sometimes to keep myself on an even keel each day and sometimes it is so hard to keep up with the demands of my children when keeping my head in a good space takes a lot of effort. I sometimes think if I had been diagnosed in my teens I would think twice about having children. I find it difficult to play with them and to give kisses and hugs especially if I am having a bad day, sometimes I just want to be on my own but it's difficult when you have children to do this.

Moby.

Hi Moby75

Well my daughter finds it difficult to give/receive kisses or hugs to/from anyone yet I love to/give kisses and hugs but find sometimes I do it inappropriately to others.

I'm sure you're a good mum and you have to believe that. You can only do the best for your children, give them direction and unconditional love. Do you have a supportive husband/partner?

Hi Robert

Yes after being a single parent for 7 years I remarried last year to a wonderful man who is reading all about aspergers at the moment in order to gain a better understanding so he can support me with any difficulties. He is very tactile and loving which has helped me. I feel as though the responsibility of being a mother is overwheming sometimes as I think I struggle with the responsibility of functioning within myself and that takes time and effort. I suspect I became a bit of a control freak in my single years so it would probably help if I could share some of the parenting responsibility with my husband and then maybe I wouldnt feel so overwhelmed. I have only just worked that out whilst writing this. They do say it's good to talk. I think I need to have a chat with my husband this evening and maybe talk about it. He does suggest I deligate but I am always reluctant to do so.

Thanks Robert.