cmuir

Anyone watch Living Life with Scotland's Carers BBC last night?

Hello

Obviously only applies to limited number of members...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17506882

Last night on BBC1 was a programme entitled 'Living Life with Scotland's Carers'. It covered 2 families; one couple who had a 16 year old severaly disabled son (cerebal palsy, epilepsy, blind, etc), and another woman with a 22 year old son called Kasim. Kasim has Aspegers and leads a very isolated life and is solely reliant upon his mother, whose struggling to stay remain sane. It was really very moving and I think in the case (relevant to this forum) of Kasim, viewers were given a taster of how challenging he can be to care for. The programme was highlighting how difficult parents fight to get support, as if life isn't hard enough for them caring for their loved one day in day out. Interestingly, both mothers fought over the years to get appropriate support, yet things only started happening when the authorities were aware that the BBC were involved, yet streniously deny this, maintaining support has always been offered. Kasim, for example, was offered a home help and a befriender, yet what Kasim wanted was a genuine friend and not someone that was paid to be his 'friend'. Instead he and his mother wanted support in College for him to be taught social skills, build up his confidence, have a social life, etc etc. But, because they turned down SW offer ofa befriender, SW closed his case - again, case was only re-opened after BBC's involvement. In both cases, the carers were at breaking/crisis point.

Very, very sad, that I can currently relate to everything in last night's programme, and I dare say a lot of forum members can do too.

Worth watching it on iplayer (or equivalent).

Caroline.

Is there a way of getting a message to the young Aspergers lad? He might benefit from a forum such as here.

I suppose the BBC might help to contact his mum . I did not see it . Mine is 12 and i am working on him doing stuff for himself.Do parents of adults with autism do too much when they are children and don' t teach them as children how to do basic stuff? I am aware it depends on the persons ability's and how their challenges effect their day to day lives.Mine is very bad at time keeping and executive functioning. I am hoping as he gets older,he will mature more to prepare himself for the days tasks,with a lot of patience and support from us.