Sign in to follow this  
mandyque

PECS

I'm in a bit of a spot, I know my dd is doing well with PECS, although she only has a few at the moment. Th problem is, I have to ask school for any new ones that she needs because the ones I find on the internet aren't the same as the ones they use at school. Different symbols will just cause confusion for her. School say they can't give me a copy of the program or lend me it to upload on my own computer for copyright restrictions but I can't afford to buy it from the PECS company. I bought a laminator so I could print my own off ready for her but can't use it because the ones I find on the internet aren't right.

Any ideas how I can get a copy more cheaply?

It's totally ludicrous that you cannot access this and they are suggesting you buy your own. They will have paid for a User Licence, but the program will not be in use 24/7. What about asking the school if you can come in and print off the symbols you need?[i did this years ago and they asked me to send them in a list of what I wanted]. I would even go so far as to ask them to put the reasons for a refusal in writing. Then I would take it to your Director of Education and ask how this problem can be overcome, within the remit of Every Child Matters.

If that doesn't work I'd make a fuss with the SLT and get sharing resources written into the IEP/statement.

Sometimes it's a case of educating the educators. :angry:

Edited by call me jaded

I can ask school for cards but it's a right mess about and I have to rely on waiting around for them to do them, it would be so much easier if I could just print them off myself. I was hoping they would lend me it anyway but they won't. I was hoping maybe there would be somewhere I could download it from, or buy a cheap copy second hand if that's at all possible.

hi - I have a disc of pecs pictures from pyramid - If anyone would like me to print them off and send it to them just pm me with details.

George X

Agreed it is a pain. The Pics for PECS CD is �35. I normally add a couple of things like this to birthday and Christmas lists as there are only so many DVDs he can watch.

Where do you buy them from for �35? I could probably use some of her birthday or christmas money for that, or perhaps ask for it from Family Fund.

Thanks for the link emum, I had a look and bought her a communication book. School have that disc and said they will give me copies (hopefully :rolleyes: ) of all the PECS she is using at school. I have asked for some that she can use at home too eg bath, shower, garden etc. so we can work on that over the holidays.