Sign in to follow this  
dekra

Got date for ADOS

I had a phone call at 5pm last night to confirm Finn has an appointment for his ADOS on 9th May. If the paediatrician is correct we should get the dx within a couple of days (assuming the ADOS does give an ASD dx).

I have mixed emotions about it all now, I am hopeful that we can get a dx for him but I am also worried we won't get a dx and we are then left wondering what is causing the issues if it is not ASD. I also feel guilty that I want the ASD dx, but it's not that I want him to have these issues I just want them identified in the manner I feel is correct.

Very nervous about upcoming holiday and how he will cope with the flight but looking forward to a week of relaxation in the sun (first time husband and I have had a holiday together in 8 1/2 years) and hope the kids have fun too.

Repeating myself I know but all that keeps going through my head is what if the test says it's not ASD? This is more about me than about him as I have convinced myself it's ASD and concerned I am projecting but although he has some areas not meeting common ASD traits (he has no issues with routines for example) there is so much that does match ASD. Confused much.

Hi

Just to let you know the emotions you feel are normal. I felt the same when I got Dan's dx,not so much with Sam because with Sam I did'nt know anything about ASD and I was "pushed" more by the school,it was all quite rushed so did'nt have time to dwell.

With Dan I had read up on ASD because of Sam's dx and because he already had speech(and other) problems for so long I just felt it must be ASD. I don't know what I would have done if they said it's not ASD. I did say to myself before hand that I may be wrong and if so I will leave it at that,not persuit it any furthur but I am not sure if I would have really left it given how much I see him struggle. Though I still give the advice that it is not good to keep "pushing" for a dx for one particular condition it may mean that idea takes over your life and you see things that are'nt necessarily there or read too much into things. It also means you losing precious time with a child whilst focusing on "fighting" with professionals. I would'nt think its worth it. Then again as I say I am not sure if I could do that,really hard!

The good thing(if you can call it that) is that Finn already has a dx of global development disorder, so despite as if he does not get an ASD dx he already has a dx. This will get help at school,which is really important, and when it comes for that help it is very similar to ASD ,if he needs a statement he could get one and even could get to a special provision. Regardless he will be able to get annual reviews,so if no dx now he may get another at a latest point.

Definatley don't feel guilty it's about trying to understand why he is struggling with certain things and thats what a mum does try to help your child.