Sign in to follow this  
victoria

DLA Mobility - Under 5's

Hi all

Just wondering if those who have been successful in obtaining DLA mobility for under 5's could give me any advice.

My 3 yr old has been granted higher rate of care but refused mobility and I have requested an appeal. Apparently I have to prove he has an IQ less than 55, or prove that autism can be considered as a severe mental impairment. They are arguing that he can physically walk and have overlooked the information I wrote about his unpredictability outdoors, lack of awareness of danger, the fact he is non-verbal, he has to go in a pushchair everywhere, tantrums etc. etc.

I also have a 4 year old diagnosed with asd (just submitted his DLA forms) and find it really difficult to manage them both outdoors.

I've heard its very difficult to get, but know some people have managed.

Thanks

Can you get d.l.a mobility for under 5,we get care allowance only,I though you only can get mobility if over 5,It's what it said in my son forms I think,as he can not walk outside ,uses a Kaye walker as poor balance ,and can not manage with the walker in uneven floor either ,only in flat surfaces,he got sensory issues to,and gets tamtrums,can not process what he sees around him,so I have to guide him,hold his walker,he has not peripherial vision either,he gets easy distractted with anything and has sensory difficulties,keeps moving his head,etc.He moves a bit much better at home as he know where everything is ,but in classroom,outside etc needs to hold hands ,and if uneven,most of the streets are ,he drops,the floor need to be flat like inside the house,them he is a bit better,He can not walk outside our house ,garden ,or street .He walks with his walker in football playground,and places like that ,but I have to get him there in the Major Buggy,he can not manage the stairs,sit by himself in adult chair as wobbly,he has a potty chair from O.T as can not sit in toilet either ,and he can not sit in bath unless I hold his back,I think the form says said that only gets d.l.a. under 5 if can not move at all.or is umputated.Are the disability allowance mobility for children like my son,or they have to be worse like not be able to move at all,his I.Q is normal.but his visual processing is really bad,he would not realized where people,furniture,toys,is unless he has been in there lots of times and things always stay the same .otherwise he meeds to bein his buggy, holding his walker ,or holding his hands .