Sign in to follow this  
jools

D.A.M.P

yes please

he is showing signs of asd, add, tourettes and has a dx of dyspraxia.

camhs are still assessing him.

is it an asd?

is DAMP the name given when you show signs from all but enough to give a firm dx for any of them?

i haven't been able to find much info

Hi Jools - my son was 'diagnosed' with DAMP about 18 months ago. But was diagnosed last week with Aspergers! Yes I think it is a bit of a 'cop out' on the diagnosis front. Apparently some cons will use this as a diagnosis and some won't. I think it just describes the some of the problems our kids have rather than being a definitive dx, but it did initially help my son get a statement. My son also has dyspraxia. I don't think DAMP is recognised as an ASD, but I reckon lots of kids getting this dx may well be on the spectrum and maybe this hasn't been recognised as yet. Hope that's abit of help am pushed for time at mo - so will leave it at that - but happy to post again if I can answer any other queries - Luv Witsend.

sorry about how long it has taken to get back to you.

DAMP is a term that was coined in Scandanavia for children with a mix of 'problems' that weren't specific to ADHD/Aspergers, but was a mix. In this country, it is more widely known as ADHD with Co Morbid DCD (Developmental Co-ordination Disorder).

This is where the problem is lies. The scandanavian countried are now refering to DAMP as ADHD with CoMorbid DCD, and we are now referring to it as DAMP.

Unless you scan speek in a nordic language, you will be hard pressed to find out much. A few sites I have found are:

http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheets/dampj.htm

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/Direct/a81.html

My son is VERY active, (can't sit still unless he is watching the t.v. when he is controlling it), he can't hold his attention to anything for more than a couple of minutes - unless he is in control. He can be violent - often for no apparent reason. He has great difficulties with his motor control - both fine and gross (he has great difficulty writing/drawing, and his running is very stilted and slow compared to others his age). He also has HUGE problems with how he understands things. He cannot read facial expressions, and cannot read a 'tone of voice'. He cannot cope with anyone touching him (to cross a road, we have to have our hands sort of hovering over each others). He hates town/classroom - anywhere where there are loud noises/lots of people. He often makes very loud siren noises with his hands covering his ears so as to block everything out. He runs away from a situation he can't handle, his swearing..ARGH!!!.....

I could go on, but I might not finish!

basically, there is just too much, over too many 'spectrums' to just be as simple as 'ADHD', or 'Aspergers', or 'Developmental Co-ordination Delay' - or even anything else. Hence why the DAMP dx.

I probably haven't answered any of your questions, if not, sorry - let me know, and I'll try to help some more. Look at them sites, and see what you think.

Luv June xx

the info is a great help

two more questions though :-)

do you think your child shows traits of asperger and do you treat him accordingly?

do the cons think he shows traits of asperger

the reason i ask is i really think my son does and for the past 6-12 months we have acted (at home) as if he does and it has had a huge (good) impact.

the school of course won't entertain anything until they have it in black and white.

sorry for all the questions but i think my mind is in overload at the moment and i can't speak a nordic language :lol:

Yes, my son definately shows SOME traits of Aspergers, especially in the communication side.

He doesn't understand people/situations. He speaks in a very monotonous tone, and often 'goes of on a tangent', not realising that others aren't interested, or have gotten bored of the subject.

He has very little imagination - dispite the many toys we have bought him, he can't/won't play with them.

He has very few friends, because they don't understand him and vice versa, and because he can't have everything his way.

He hates places where there are too many people, and will get very agitated.

He is treated as if he has Aspergers insofar as we use PECS to help him plan his days. He has a lot of one-to-one help in school to help him with situations he can't deal with. ummm, I am sure there is more, but I just can't think - argh!!! Oh, he also goes to a 'nurture ggroup' in school to help him with his communication skills.

I am sorry to hear the school aren't being very helpful. I suppose we one of the lucky ones, as sons school is VERY supportive, I am often to be found in the headteachers office/classroom/resources room getting help/advice - or even on occassion, giving THEM help and advice.

Good luck - any more questions, give us a shout!

thanks for that....it really is a great help.

just to know i'm basically on the right track with him is great.

as for school.....i will be stamping my little foot more than normal next term! i'm hoping that once camhs have spoken to them they will believe me when i say he needs support.

cahms? - I've heard that mentioned, but not sure what it is (think it's been mentioned in school?)...Anyway, get everyone, and anyone you can to speak to the school. We have a great school nurse who is really 'up' on her ASD/Aspergers/ADHD/Communication Problems stuff, and so was really good in getting the school to understand and help.

CAMHS = Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

the usual diagnositic service for children on the autistic spectrum or with other developmental problems

Zemanski