justwatching

In a holding pattern. In fog. Looking to land.

hi,

I am new here, joined yesterday.

I suspect strongly that I am Aspergic, and have many of the components, but am uncertain whether

to get a formal diagnosis.

I am already undergoing therapy (for something else), which was triggered by a particularly bad depressive episode.

I suspect the depression was made all the worse by many peripheral factors, many of which

orbit around social difficulties, anxieties, and isolation.

Aspergers is something that certainly chimes with my broader perspectives.

I am reading Tony Attwoods book on Aspergers, and the main phrase that struck me was "intellectualising emotions".

Anyway, less of the rambling. Are there any on-line methods of getting some basic diagnostic?

How do I approach my GP and broach the subject?

thanks

Hi, I like the title of your message... I kinda feel like a plane crashing because of fog...

Anyway... There's online AQ tests you can do, and there's others - there's a list in the Attwood book - Baron Cohen did quite a few of them, there's an EQ test, and facial expression/perception tests...

I've only ever done the AQ test and that was after my diagnosis, someone started a post on it and I thought it would be a laugh to have a go at it.

As for approaching a GP, I wouldn't have a clue, but I guess if it were me I would just ask to be referred for a diagnosis and I would explain why I wanted that to be checked out.

Best

Darkshine

PS - not really a fan of online tests, they are meant to be done with someone who knows what they are doing, and would be better off left alone, I think asking for a referral would be a better route as I don't believe seeing the tests up front will give an honest result during an actual diagnosis interview.

Edited by darkshine