alexon

Do you know of any teachers diagnosed with AS ?

... It looks like the tribunal won't be over until september - which will be over 2 years from dismissal.

I still wish you the best. I think it's unbelievable to have you waiting for so long.

It's hard, teaching. I've just dropped out of my placement because of my aspergers getting in the way

Edited by amberzak

hi amberzak,

sorry to hear you have dropped out.

when i did my PGCE, i was given clear guidance in what was expected of me, and so got good grades.

The 3 placements most of my colleagues had were good school, bad school, middle of road school.

I know of one student more recently who - used her "charms" to get a placement in only two schools 9 in one local authority.

as I now know a bit more about teaching - If i could turn back the clock - i would have requested specidfic schools for my placement

I would also advise you to think about what school(s) you want to be in on placement.

I suggest that rather than resigning from a course - even if you already have - try to backtracxk a bit and seek approval for your existing achievements to be kept - ie so you can slot into the course again in next year or a few years time ( without having to re-do some bits) and without having to re-apply.

If you are going to be a teaching assistant, then it would seem to be a good springboard to get back into teaching - get your placements at that school(s)

I got on fine with my undiagnosed aspergers in good, high achieving schools, where good discipline was expected, and a powerful enforcement policy.

Also in a low achieving school - with horrendous behaviour in every class. - where the staff were consistent.

also in a middle of the road school where there was consistent behaviour enforcement throughout the school.

where i got into difficulties was in a middling school, which had no consistent behaviour policy and staff had conflicting views on how to deal with behaviour and what behaviour was acceptable.

I would suggest trying to teach in a better school, as there a lot of problems you can encounter have already been overcome, and there is already an effective scheme of work - some poorer schools with no standard scheme of work are very wasteful as you are constantly re-inventing the wheel.

best regards, and think positive.

Alexon