Sign in to follow this  
Redcoat85

Idolisation

As an 18 year old, diagnosed with Aspergers when I was little, I've often found that I seem to idolise cartoon characters more than real people. Also, every cartoon character that I admire happens to be the same type generally and all of them are ones that I consider to be most like me.

I've found this strange and thought that others with Aspergers might be able to help me understand if this is a symptom or not. I idolise the Riddler and Joker from Batman the most. Despite the crimes they commit in the comics and films I feel I have a similar personality to them. I often feel extremely sad that I can't be more like them (minus the killing and the evil) and feel a huge longing to be them that I know will go unsatisfied which makes me even sadder. I used to make up stories of characters I drew and almost befriend them, despite them not being real, to the point where I'd have dreams about me having adventures with them.

Does anyone else have any experiences with this or is it just me?

It may be that cartoon or fantasy characters are not limited in what they can do, unlike the way things are in real life. These characters you are describing are not restricted by social norms and live outside of what would be termed 'normal' circumstances. They have abilities that surpass what any 'normal' human would be able to do.

At the age of 12, I was very much into 'Asterix' and before this I watched things like 'Dungeons and Dragons' and 'He Man' on TV. I have realised that at the time that I was very interested in Asterix it was a time that I felt very alone and that everything was very confusing in life. I felt that I had no power and was always the underdog, to be abused and made fun of. Asterix, on the other hand was a character who although small in stature had a protective best friend and all his other friends behind him when he went off to fight whatever battle needed fought. He also had special powers provided by the sorcerer to give him the 'edge' over his enemies. He always overcame all the obstacles in his path and he did it with confidence and without fear. In all honesty, this was the opposite of me. I think that reading this kind of thing helped me to escape the problems in my own life but it may also have helped me understand that sometimes the little guy triumphs.

:)