Sign in to follow this  
ash1990

new to this mum of 1

hello everyone,

i am new to this page my name is ashley and i am a mum to one little boy who is 2 in january he has today been referred to a community pediatrition who im expecting will get the ball rolling with his assesment i just

wondered if anyone had any advice to share with me about the process of assesment i dont no what to expect or what they do?

i have worked with children who live with asd for 3 years but never been anywere near assesments or the medical side of things just take them out and have fun...

any advice on anything would be greatly appriciated.

thank you in advance xxx

or any advice on how to help him communicate with me? he speaks but does not understand what he or anyone else is saying. she said he is like a parrot but doesnt no what hes saying, so he gets frustrated and lashes out at me and other people. i mean i dont tell him off forbthis but give him other options on how to chanel his frustrations in a positive way like instead of biting me bite an apple or hit the pillow, but if anyone else has any ideas im happy to hear them.

im just feeling very lost and a little confused at the min x

Hi ash and welcome

Don't have much time to write just now but just in response to your 2nd question.

I think it is important to try to find a way for your little boy to communicate with you. It's important too to give him a way to vent his frustration but the cause of the frustration also needs addressed.

At the same age, I had no idea what my little boy understood and was very frustrated myself as I felt there was a gulf I couldn't bridge. For us though, I found that music was an excellent way to communicate. My little boy was always humming and loved rythmn - his face lit up when we sung 'The Wheels on the Bus' and 'If you're happy and you know it'. So, I sung 'If you're happy and you know it....all the usual stuff.....then I added in 'Turn around, touch your nose, jump up high, touch your belly, tap your knee and on it went....'.

It was a great way to connect and actually gave him an outlet to have fun and exercise too....I let him jump up and down on the bed at the time which was like a trampoline.

This might not work for you. You need to find your own way to 'connect' with your little boy. It will likely be related to the things he is interested in but needs to be something that he would be happy for you to participate in too because there are things that he may actually become more upset about if you 'intrude' on.

Good Luck :)