Sign in to follow this  
mon

a scared American and autism related treatment in schools

Hi.

First off forgive me for intruding on your UK based forum as I'm an American living in the US. I'm totally scared of the way things are done in my country and I have two young kids on the spectrum currently attending public school. One is in a special education class and the other is in an NT class. I've come to this forum out of curiosity but also to ask a question...

Here in the states we have so many horrible stories of ASD children being mistreated and even killed in schools and facilities. Its usually because they're being restrained/choked during a meltdown or even just to make them comply with orders. Its akin to police brutality/treatment but on CHILDREN! This has happened to elementary and high school aged children. Its Fing horrible and frightening! No one is properly educated in the ways of autism or how to deal with these kids in a hands-off manner.

Question:

Do these things happen in the UK? Is it rampant? Because I feel like I read a story every single day of this bullsh* happening here, ie kids being abused or having died. We're obviously not doing the right things here. As well as I think we're so ass-backward the way we get things done. We even have government officials blocking bills that would cut this cr@p (restraining and such) out.

What, if anything, has helped the ASD community in the UK?? Do you feel safe sending your child to schools? Do you have restrictions on the way these children can be handled? Do you think more kids on the spectrum are homeschooled, thus negating a need for such regulations?

I apologize if my questions seem ignorant but I just can believe the cr@p that goes on here. Im hoping I can look to the UK as an example for us. (I really want to help change things here but I don't know where to start and am having a hard time finding national level organizations. )

Thanks to any who answer.

~m

Edited by mon

Hi' and just a short answer (or comment) right now. Have you been in touch with ASAN at all? (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) They appear to be getting taken seriously and gaining support and Ari Ne'erman their president seems to talk a lot of sense. Go online and you'll find various articles etc.

They put out a statement very shortly after the recent school shooting to dispel any connection between autism and violence as the American media appeared to be suggesting a connection. As far as I know, they were the first autism group to do this very publicly and so strongly.

Edited by Lyndalou

I would say these things are prevelant any where in the world..prehaps more in some places than others but to say it does'nt excist here would be a lie.

There have been recent documentries here highlighting abuse of children with special needs(not just autism) in care homes. I myself have worked(albeit for just 4 weeks) at a special school with children who have ASD as well as learning difficulties. They do restrain children in the school,and is common in schools all over the country. From what I saw in the school it can often be very necessary to restrain a child if they are a danger to themselves or others. When I say others I mean pupils NOT staff who same to take punches,kicks,scatches etc as part of the job. The important thing here is that there are laws in place which mean staff have to be trained before attempting any type of restraining,this is undated regularly. The paretns would also have to sign consent for this to be done,which parents usually agree to as they have experienced first hand the violence their child can inflict.

I don't know if any child has ever died as a direct result of restraint,but if they have done it may be due to other health related problems.