Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Stimming crazy weekend

Jack has been stimming a huge amount this weekend. He has been really good in school this week, so good that he got 2 star of the day awards and got to bring home the class teddy who goes to the pupil that has behaved well all week! i wondered if the amount of stimming might be connected to how well hed behaved all week, maybe he is controlling him self in school and then letting of steam at home? Or is it more down to being distracted all day on school and then at home when there isnt the constant stimulation from the teachers tasks etc he stimms more? Hes been spinning, clicking, talking in his qwn language non stop this weekend! Thanx

From what you've explained and described about your son before I think personally you maybe right when you link/connect stimming with safely comfortable letting out days frustrations /stress built up within him his way of release that in his own way makes feel calm,relaxed settled! XKLX

There is a belief (and I agree with it) that stimming is a way to self-regulate the nervous system. Perhaps Jack has had a very busy week and he is finding ways to cope with the build up of stress generated during the week by stimming. I've heard it now described as 'self-regulatory' behaviour and also 'soothing' behaviour and I think this is a better way of understanding what the behaviour is for than using this word.

You maybe have to decide which of these behaviours are positive and which are negative. I'd be tempted to say that if they are not self-injurious or put other people, like your other children in danger then the stimming serves a purpose and will keep him more calm and able to cope. Of course, stimming can be positive in some situations and not in others. For instance, if my son spins round in the kitchen when the dinner is on then that is dangerous and also if his sister is about and there is the danger that he may fall on her. However, if I can get him to spin around in another room then it's fine. You might be able to persaude Jack to replace one stim with another if necessary too.

I find the spinning most dangerous, like when he spins on the pavement and does a sideways glazed look at the same time... he could fall in to the road. Also if he does it in cafes where there are hot drinks or places where there are a lot of people, he may trip someone up. But mostly they are harmless although at times annoying for others! I guess he must be letting off steam then, idf he has tried hard all week at school then he is just relaxing when hes at home.