Sign in to follow this  
Isobel

Its a good thing I can be assertive sometimes

Went into doctors as I had an infected blister, he prescribed me some cream but wasn't going to offer me any further treatment or support in taking care of the wound unless I had spoken up and asked for a practise nurse to help clean it. As in the title, sometimes you don't get until you're prepared to ask. The nurse was very good and actually gave me an appointment to go back to check the wound was healing too. Sometimes doctors don't have a good bedside manner.

Good for you sticking up for yourself even though patients shouldn't have to ask these things! I always remind myself that if you don't ask you don't get (a lot of the time). Hope your infection clears up soon.

One thing i have discovered about the NHS is if you want something you have to ask for it, otherwise it will be a case of you will get the least possible and if at all in some cases.

My problem has always been I am too passive but when I try not to be too passive it comes across as aggressive and they don't like that, where if I return to what I usually am, I get that feeling of being short changed and nothing is ever sorted out.

But today, a hospital appointment regarding skin moles, an East European doctor I could hardly understand but he was very polite and friendly and I believe went above and beyond which surprised me, one mole he said was no problem but because I said I ideally didn't want it, he froze it there and then and said it will be gone in a few days, the other he said not to worry, it's early caught but it is pre cancerous and an appointment has been made for two weeks time to have it surgically removed, so, I am impressed with today's outcome, but just a pity it took six months to get the appointment due to the health authority not sending out appointment letters and then phoning me up the day they had me booked for the appointment to confirm I was attending, where I knew nothing about it. And that after they telling me six months ago there were no available appointments for at least six months, but there were appointments I wasn't informed of in those six months I was told there were no appointments available.

But with the NHS it is hit and miss, sometimes you get excellent service above and beyond, at other times any credibility they have earned is ripped to shreds.

Oh and I am not worrying about the problem mole, it will be gone soon and besides I have more pressing matters to consider as the result of recent tests, but again I am not that bothered as it will be all sorted out as long as I ensure the medics remain focused.