whitestar

Hello all, another newbie

Hi all, I am married and from Merseyside, and have a son who is 8 and diagnosed ASD 4 years ago. He goes to mainstream school (has a total dislike of school). We thought at the start of the school year that he was going to have a good year, but he has not coped at all well in school, and brought it all home for us, (in school he perfectly behaved and no problem for his teachers and easily copes with the work set out for him), had a meeting with the senco at the oct half term and she agreed to put in place a lot of changes for his return after the break, but then went off sick till after xmas. Asked for meetings with his teacher that never occurred and his head teachers attitude was "what do you want us to do". He lasted until the first week of December then refused to go back, until this week, now doing one hour in the mornings, but on Thursday senco said that she could not have him on Friday as she had to take her class, and next week he will only be in for 3 one hour sessions, (so much for routines). Senco stated about his extreme anxiety in the school and said that it is going to a long time before she will be able to get him in again full time (if ever). Have applied for a statement but been refused and have now put in the appeal, but not holding much hope and have just started under cahms but next appointment not before April at the earliest. Its great to find this forum and hope to enjoy participating, many thanks ian

Hi Whitestar, welcome to the forum :)

Hello and welcome from a Liverpool fc supporter, my family is originally from Liverpool. Have you heard of the Liverpool aspergers team? Im not sure if they only help adults in your area. Also you might want to contact the north west regional manager from the NAS.

Hi whitestar, I'm also new here and my son has just received his asperger's Dx, so in a strange kind of way we are just starting to learn differently his mind works. He does not like school either...to him school and home are two different worlds which can cause some problems with homework.

Seems like your son is working very hard to keep everything together at school. I presume he has an IEP? So what support is actually in place now? unfortunately my son is the opposite he is relaxed at home but struggles at school due to inadequate support (something which we are working on!).