Sign in to follow this  
jayandcee

Hello

Hi, I'm in the US and hope this forum will provide a place for some answers even though many of you are "across the pond". While on that subject, my thoughts and prayers to all of you in London affected by the bombings.

After watching a TV programe (Law and Order) and hearing about Aspergers, I was prompted to research and learn more. The behavior, (although mild) descibes my son and his issues over the past 35 yrs. Most people would descibe him as "an odd duck". He generally means well, but in my opinion, he hasn't had a clue about how people perceive him all his life. He also has no conscious awareness of how he affects others or how his actions cause a negative response.

This is a duplicat post of sorts cause I put much the same in the help and advice topic, but thought I'd do an intro cause it might get more views here.

I do have a questions and that is how do I broach the subject with him? How do I suggest, "you may bave Aspergers"? He generally gets defensive if I try to point anything out or, as he would see it, "control him"

Are there adults on this forum who have recognized there own Aspergers symptons and sought help? Any advice appreciated. You can even email me with any thoughts.

Guest flutter

hey and welcome :)

not got any answers i have to say cos i am very new to all of this

but there are loads of very knowledgable people who will be able to help you

C x

yep i would be very interested to read any replies to yr thread, as i have an inkling my husband has as. our son has it but to a greater degree, but i have often thought h has traits, but as you say, how do you tell someone you have suspicions about them without causing problems? :huh:

my little one was diagnosed as AS a few months ago.

whilst at one of the first consultants meetings i had i was asked to describe immediate family members....my brother rang lots of bells for the consultant.

i didn't mention this to him, but spoke to his girlfriend. she wholeheartedly agreed with me and actually said she had thought so for some time.

again, we didn't confront him, i thought, he doesn't need to be told, he has a great job, happily engaged etc, i didnt want to upset.

then an odd thing happened. he called me, he'd been online, finding out all he could about AS to give to me. and he told me, quite matter of fact that he's sure he has it. he feels it's a huge relief.

i don't know if he definately has AS or not, but you can see him physically more relaxed and he doesn't push himself to do things like he used to. plus he and my son have the most fantastic bond now. i think he understands him more that i do!!

i guess my answer would be, try not to confront him with it - just be there with all the advice and support if he comes to you.

home my waffling helps :D xxx