Sign in to follow this  
lynyona

recently

Kieran has never been a very good talker because of slight hearing loss and his autism and it seems some times he is embarrased in some way to talk just recenctly he has become mor reliant on using first letters of words instead of the actual words eg he will say dont forget my ca ma s ga mas and das ma s ca s now i can decipher these words car mags games mags and drinks munchies crisps he is 26 it is okay when we know but we have to go through every word associated with the letter sometimes until we get it which he gets frustrated we ve said to him just say the words.Im not sure if it stems from his siblings questioning about why he wants for eg a certain game or not and fear of comment does anyone else have this or is there another reason why he does this .just seems trange that he s only started getting more regular and he is abbreviating most things when he can

Do you think that this way of communicating would change any if he didn't feel under pressure to explain why he wants something? Could his siblings find other ways to ask their brother his reasons for asking for particular things? I just wonder if, like you say, this has been the trigger to the way he is now asking for what he'd like. I know it's a bit different but in the same ballpark but when my son thinks I'm going to say 'No' to his request for something he does something similar to this...he speaks in a kind of 'staccato', making his words all clipped.

Special_talent 123 no he doesnt have speech therapy he had it when he was younger for a while since he left school at 16 we have had no help with anything for him he is 26 now.Saying that even if we had we d have had problems going to these things as he rarely leaves the house nowadays through anxiety issues

lyndalou

Could be right obviously his brothers arent always there when he asks for stuff he wants he does it with things like football games and he s mad about tennis and does it with players just giving us the first letters of the name and we are expected to know who he is talking about.Could also be a bit of laziness easier that way i dont know