hello all. not sure I am on right forum for this, but here goes,my 27yrs old son who lives on own has just had his dla stopped..i have rang and asked for them to look at it again..they are...the issue is that my carers will stop I assume now...do I ring them and then apply for jsa?....I receive income support with carers ( this because of my son)...like he stated to me does this mean I don't have Aspergers anymore and I don't have your help?.....I am worried sick and it has been hard as he can get quite aggressive verbally ..and goes into panic attacks through being anxious....please advise thankyou

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I have no idea why your son's DLA would be stopped, at least they are looking into it, I would keep onto them until they can give you a reason why your son is not entitled to DLA anymore.

My son, who is 19 lives in a care home and he receives ESA which is the benefit that has replaced income support. My son was put in the 'support group' as he is unable to work, the other group is called the 'work related group'. He is severely autistic with mental and challenging issues. Is your son able to work or not? As my son is in a care home he is only entitled to the mobility part of the DLA benefit which goes to the care home as it is towards the petrol for trips out and public transport for Glen.

If DLA is stopped then obviously the Carer's allowance will be as well, it just seems strange that this has happened suddenly, did your son not get any warning at all of this?

Did his original DLA award have an expiry date on it? Did they send out forms to be completed and your son has not done this, or told you about it?

I would advise that you make an appointment with Citizens Advice who would be able to give you advice on how to re-apply. Ask them if they can help you complete the DLA form, because there is very specific information and wording that can help your claim that they will know about. Have you phoned the DLA helpline and asked them why it stopped?

Very good advice as always Sally, I should have thought of that regarding the DLA award having an expiry date on it. Going to Citizens Advice is also a great idea.