Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

NHS Patient Advice and Liaison Servies [PALS]

Just wanted to post about my recent experience with PALS at our local hospital. And this is a link to PALS http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1082.aspx?CategoryID=68

My son has ASD and OCD, and we have been trying to get CBT therapy for him for years. Clinical Psychology had recently refused a referral to them from both the CAHMS Psychiatrist and his school.

That left my son with a diagnosis of OCD and no medical input/therapy for that. And OCD does not go away on its own. It can be a chronic lifelong mental health issue.

So I thought I would give PALS a shot. I spoke to the woman, and explained the situation and what had happened and what had not happened. She got in touch with the Clinical Psychologist, and they have now agreed to accept a referral.

So this is a major breakthrough for us.

What I would advise other parents, adults to do is to get the relevant professional to refer you to whatever professional department needs to see you. Even if the GP or other NHS professional says that they don't think a referal will be accepted. The fact that you have been referred will enable you to ask PALS to become involved to find out why the referral was not accepted and to challenge that decision, especially if it contradicts NICE Guidance.

It is also useful to get the relevent NHS guidance for that particular medical condition or disorder to find out what the NHS guidance says should happen to patients presenting with that condition/disorder.

This is a link to the NICE Guidance. It basically says what the NHS should do for each medical condition/mental health disorder. http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/Topic

In our case it clearly states that the most effective form of treatment for OCD is cognitive behavioural therapy and that that should be offered to the patient.