Aeolienne

RIP Lorna Wing 1928-2014

Lorna Wing was a psychiatrist who illuminated key aspects of autism and coined the term 'Asperger syndrome’

Obituary from the Telegraph

Very sad loss. I met her once when she spoke at a meeting, probably around the year 2000, and remember her from a BBC documentary on Asperger's in 1995, the year I became diagnosed.

Here's another obituary. The Independent hasn't had one at the time of writing and The Times is behind a paywall.

Very important person and has done so much. Thank you Lorna. Through Nas. We have been to Earlybird and Earlybird plus and now social eyes for teenagers.

Yes, through the NAS I went to the "Help" seminars that helped enormously in trying to get a grip on what autism was and where my son seemed to dip in and out of the 'spectrum'.

Another person who had a profound affect on me was Olga Bogdashina. She talks alot about the sensory perceptual and processing of those on the spectrum. And it became very clear to me that alot of my son's "autistic" behaviour was due to sensory perception and processing.

We just need to be thankful of those people that dedicate their lives to researching and passing on their knowledge.