Sign in to follow this  
BelLocke

Advice about moving and unruly parents.

Haha, I've actually had to change the subject of this post several times already; I've got so many questions and thoughts that I can't seem to settle on one. :P But I suppose I'll focus on the most pressing issue.

We're moving back in with my husband's parents in a couple of weeks until January, and let's just say the last year or two of living with them the last time was not positive in the slightest for issues too personal to discuss. I can already see the panic and worry settling itself in hubby's face and through the way he's behaving when I told him the date I plan to move him. He's moving in about a week before me, because it will enable me to pack the flat up without worrying about him and causing him to be upset. He's extremely attached to this place and doesn't want to leave, but the long term result will be much better for him... I hope.

I've been trying my best to prepare both sides for this. I am trying to get hubby to relax, breathe, and think positively. He is the biggest pessimist in the world thanks to his parents, so this is not easy at all! I am also trying to "coach" his parents. They are as stubborn as they come, and although they know and claim to understand his condition, they do not know how to communicate with or treat him at all. When all three get their tempers going, things just tend to go in one ear and out the other, and arguments can be explosive... I sometimes feel like a messenger who's trapped between two warring armies.

Like I said though, I really hope that if we can survive the coming months, my husband will be in a better place. He'll be: 1) closer to work, so he can walk and not worry about transport, 2) living in a semi-detached house with only a quiet old man next door for a neighbor, and 3) in our very own house with a spare room for our hobbies! He's looking forward to number 3 the most of course. ;)

Back on point, I wonder if any of you have advice for me about anything from moving house to buying/packing/unpacking furniture as well as maybe experience with uncooperative parents. Moving twice in the span of a year is really going to unsettle him, but I'm doing my very best to make it as smooth as possible.