Sign in to follow this  
pingu

The Alert Programme

Hi Again,

Just before we embark on a trip to the park :wacko: I thought i would ask this question.

We have just had another Meeting with the OT, (about the eldest) They tested him for ASD earlier this year and said he didnt have one, however they thought that he was suffering some 'sensory difficulties' and have now said that he could be ADHD. but she said she was keen to put him on the ALERT programme, she didnt really speculate on this, but said she would post me some info, But i am eager to know if any of you have heard of this? and if you have what does it entail.

I have looked at the Jargon buster but it is not on there, so maybe it is nothing to do with anything, but i thought i would ask anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Take care

Shaz

x

Hi Shaz, I posted a few days ago about this topic but haven't had any replies - started to think I'd made it up :lol: . I attended a talk on the ALERT prog by my sons OT a couple of weeks ago, I'm stilll not totally sure about what it all means myself (hence earlier posting) but will share with you what I know so far.

The ALERT prog was developed by American researchers and is intended for use by kids with sensory issues (not just ASD kids). I had to fill in a long questionairre about my sons sensory perceptions and from this they determine whether your child has high/low levels of arousal/alertness. (Apparently they changed the name from Arousal to Alertness because a lot of their work was done with teenage boys! :lol: )

It's a bit tricky 'cos I would have presumed my son is often in a high state of sensory arousal but the fact that he seeks out activities such as spinning and rocking actually mean he is needing those activities because his brain needs the stimulation, hence he may be more low in arousal levels :wacko:

They look at the problems the child may present with and if it is a sensory issue rather than a behavioural one link the it to the appropriate sense (eg a child who constantly chews clothing would have an oral issue) and try to help the situation by providing ideas for an appropriate sensory response. The example the OT gave was of a child who is in meltdown but refuses to be touched she suggested they have a quiet low lit place to lay in and to cover them with weighted pillows! The pillows are a substitute for a tight hug and by their heaviness are meant to calm the child who has become sensorily overloaded. Does that make sense? Like I say I haven't really got to grips with it myself yet. My son hasn't been given a programme to follow but this was a group talk and we will be seeing the OT again later this month individually so maybe more will be said on the subject then.

I have got some handouts but haven't had time to read them properly yet. Will let you know if I find out anything else useful.

Take care - luv witsend.

Edited by witsend