Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team

After School, what then?

Recommended Posts


My grandson got a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism, ADHD, Attachment Disorder and Developmental Coordination Disorder when he was 6.  From age 8 he has taken methylphenidate for ADHD.  He is doing well at school and is considered a natural mathematician.  He doesnt see anyone about his autism but has a very good support assistant/key worker in school.  He is now 15 and I am in fear for his future.  School think he will definitely secure a university place in maths or science.  How does a young person go to university when his living skills are so poorly developed


I have to pour his drinks from bottles or he spills them.

I have to get him up in a morning and select his clothes otherwise he wouldnt get up, and would make crazy choices like a pair of shorts at Christmas etc.

He cannot prepare meals, I show him how to do parts of tasks and he can just about make toast and cheese and crackers.

He is vulnerable and gullible when it comes to dealing with people and his relationships have to be supervised.

OK so if he decides he doesnt want university, and he stays here with me everyday playing computer games, what about when I die?  His mother was unable to bring him up because she couldnt priorities and neglected him and herself.

What support is available for young people like this?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Peaches,

Your grandson should be undergoing a transition now to his post-16 placement.  Does he have an Education, Health and Care Plan?  Has a post 16 target been identified?   Is there a contingency plan?  Have any visits to his target venue been arranged?    If he has an EHCP, has consultation taken place with his next venue (even if this is Sixth Form in his current school)?


You are absolutely correct, professionals cannot simply assume he will transition to his next placement with no problems.  Furthermore, what assistance are you getting?  What independent living skills training is your g/s receiving?  Where are specialist ASC services or social care?



I am sorry, I only have questions.  My own experience is not good.  Post-16 was disastrous for both my sons, but your sons' transition should be well under way by now.  It is not all about academic performance as you know so well.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Peaches,

Have you thought about the Open University where all coursework is done at home with materials sent to you ?  Have you contacted any local universities to ask if they do part time courses or if there's any way in which they might be able to accommodate his needs ? You could also think about any local college courses along the lines of accounting etc which may mean he could work as a self employed accountant or book keeper and work from home in the future if he doesn't want to go to university ? Also perhaps you could ask about a referral to Occupational Therapy where you could be assessed for anything which could be used to help avoid some of the problems he faces ? ( same idea as people get appliances etc after a stroke and can't manage bottles/ kettles etc)

Also, you might want to think about considering if referring yourselves to Social Work would be helpful so that they can have a record of his needs and what help you provide so that they can organise providing the same help when you are  no longer able to e.g a support worker, meals on wheels, an assisted living facility ( where maybe 4 young people live but are supervised daily by a support worker). I referred my daughter to them myself when I was a single parent with my ASD daughter just in case anything happened to me. 

I'd also suggest making an appointment with your local citizens advice to see if they can help e.g making sure you're getting all the social and financial help you are entitled to, including access to any funds such as the Family Fund etc which might help you.

All my very best for the future for you both.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

bit late to the discussion, but some pointers.

If he has a EHCP that goes up to 25 years old (max, depending on what he is doing) and should include trasition arrangements

If he is going to p16 education of any kind, you can make transition arrangements with them, either with or without an EHCP

Some p16 provisions are very ggood and can put in place individual leaning plans eg: Maths A level, plus a lifeskills class and social skills class to mke a full tiem study plan.  Ask around different providers to see what they can offer

If/when he gets to Uni, they will also have transition arrangements and SEND specialists available to help.  Start asking sooner rather than later:)


Hope that is helpful

Edited by KezT

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now