Jump to content

After School, what then?

Recommended Posts

My grandson got a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism, ADHD, Attachment Disorder and Developmental Coordination Disorder when he was 6.  From age 8 he has taken methylphenidate for ADHD.  He is doing well at school and is considered a natural mathematician.  He doesnt see anyone about his autism but has a very good support assistant/key worker in school.  He is now 15 and I am in fear for his future.  School think he will definitely secure a university place in maths or science.  How does a young person go to university when his living skills are so poorly developed


I have to pour his drinks from bottles or he spills them.

I have to get him up in a morning and select his clothes otherwise he wouldnt get up, and would make crazy choices like a pair of shorts at Christmas etc.

He cannot prepare meals, I show him how to do parts of tasks and he can just about make toast and cheese and crackers.

He is vulnerable and gullible when it comes to dealing with people and his relationships have to be supervised.

OK so if he decides he doesnt want university, and he stays here with me everyday playing computer games, what about when I die?  His mother was unable to bring him up because she couldnt priorities and neglected him and herself.

What support is available for young people like this?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Peaches,

Your grandson should be undergoing a transition now to his post-16 placement.  Does he have an Education, Health and Care Plan?  Has a post 16 target been identified?   Is there a contingency plan?  Have any visits to his target venue been arranged?    If he has an EHCP, has consultation taken place with his next venue (even if this is Sixth Form in his current school)?


You are absolutely correct, professionals cannot simply assume he will transition to his next placement with no problems.  Furthermore, what assistance are you getting?  What independent living skills training is your g/s receiving?  Where are specialist ASC services or social care?



I am sorry, I only have questions.  My own experience is not good.  Post-16 was disastrous for both my sons, but your sons' transition should be well under way by now.  It is not all about academic performance as you know so well.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Peaches,

Have you thought about the Open University where all coursework is done at home with materials sent to you ?  Have you contacted any local universities to ask if they do part time courses or if there's any way in which they might be able to accommodate his needs ? You could also think about any local college courses along the lines of accounting etc which may mean he could work as a self employed accountant or book keeper and work from home in the future if he doesn't want to go to university ? Also perhaps you could ask about a referral to Occupational Therapy where you could be assessed for anything which could be used to help avoid some of the problems he faces ? ( same idea as people get appliances etc after a stroke and can't manage bottles/ kettles etc)

Also, you might want to think about considering if referring yourselves to Social Work would be helpful so that they can have a record of his needs and what help you provide so that they can organise providing the same help when you are  no longer able to e.g a support worker, meals on wheels, an assisted living facility ( where maybe 4 young people live but are supervised daily by a support worker). I referred my daughter to them myself when I was a single parent with my ASD daughter just in case anything happened to me. 

I'd also suggest making an appointment with your local citizens advice to see if they can help e.g making sure you're getting all the social and financial help you are entitled to, including access to any funds such as the Family Fund etc which might help you.

All my very best for the future for you both.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

bit late to the discussion, but some pointers.

If he has a EHCP that goes up to 25 years old (max, depending on what he is doing) and should include trasition arrangements

If he is going to p16 education of any kind, you can make transition arrangements with them, either with or without an EHCP

Some p16 provisions are very ggood and can put in place individual leaning plans eg: Maths A level, plus a lifeskills class and social skills class to mke a full tiem study plan.  Ask around different providers to see what they can offer

If/when he gets to Uni, they will also have transition arrangements and SEND specialists available to help.  Start asking sooner rather than later:)


Hope that is helpful

Edited by KezT

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...