Sign in to follow this  
pleasehelp

More on letting them out to play...

I'm still fuming as I type this because of what's just happened which just goes to reitterate what has been discussed before about some of our kids and just how vulnerable they really are. Ironically I only replied to a similar posting on the pitfalls of letting them out to play just yesterday and today this :angry:

R goes out to play only in our street and the next one which is literally only a few yards away through an entryway and where I like to think I can keep a reasonably close eye on him. Less than an hour ago, he came running crying and screaming in in a real state of distress because he'd fallen off his bike and as he'd done so some *!$!** several years his senior and a good foot taller had run up, stolen the bike and ridden off on it up the main road. Well I'm sorry to say I just saw red, bundled both kids in car, youngest with nothing on his feet and screaming in protest at the fact and not before falling backwards unceremoniously into huge bush by my front door ripping my leg to shreds for all neighbours to stare agog at because I guess I must have looked like a woman possessed (s'ppose I was really). Raced up said main road in direction of nearest 'roughneck estate' where I thought the little sh*t would be headed but no sign so i went sort of further than i thought he could have reached by a block or so before doubling back to try and catch the culprit. Lo and behold we spotted the ~deep breathe~ 'person' on the bike peddling like the clappers towards the estate so I spun car round caught him up and cut him up-believe me at this point I did not give a ~bleep~ if I knocked him off. He jumped off the bike and ran back up the road and down some entries so I still chased him in the car-I shouted at 2 lads walking down the street to watch the bike and think they could gather what was going on and they gave me a :thumbs: . Well i didnt catch him but think i scared the living cr*p out of him chasing him Sweeney style down the entries in my car so I dont think he'll be stupid enough to show his face round here again and gotta say I was relieved the 2 lads I asked to watch the bike hadnt decided to run off other way with it :wacko:

I'm so glad we got Rs bike back and if I hadnt raced out after the toerag like a looney doubt very much if we would have, but it just goes to show how quickly these things can happen. I think it could probably have happened just as easily whether R had been ASD or not, but cant help thinking that he just 'looks' like an easy target before he even opens his mouth or anything else so think it made it more of a likelihood. Until now R has enjoyed going to the really close by convenience shop as an errand and because I think it helps him learn to do these things for himself and up until today every time I asked him to go he would pester me to let him take his bike but I always said no in case it got pinched-dont think he'll pester any more poor lad :(

Its just made me so annoyed that things like this can happen so easily to our kids and in a big way I am actually glad I didnt get hold of the ~bleep~ that took it because I'd probably be in a lot of trouble myself by now if I had because I hate to think what I'd have done to him, totally enraged as I was by the whole thing :blink:

Lots of deep breathing and a big cup of tea in order to try an calm down a bit-sorry to ramble but had to share folks,

Caz

You should report this to the police. Maybe not quite all of it, but you could explain that you drove to see if you could see the bike, and the kid ran off when you challenged him. The boys who did this might be known to the police. There's probably not a lot they can do about this particular incident, but if there'a a regular problem the police may try to patrol the area more often. If these things don't get reported, the police won't know there's a problem to be dealt with.

Hi Tally. Sadly, reporting things to the police round here as with so many other areas does very little as they just arent interested in doing anything. The estate where I think this lad came from is very rough and there are LOTs of them known to the police but they just get away with this kind of thing all the time. A friend of mine had a son who she had to withdraw from the compo some of them attend because he was stabbed and no action was taken-it's like the police are too scared to do anything even when they're handed names addresses and all the evidence you could ever need on a plate :angry: I'm really glad we did get the bike back but at the same time really upset because now my boys confidence which he'd taken so long to gain has now been shattered again and he's too afraid to leave the confines of our garden-probably not such a bad thing in light of todays events but a truly sad indictment of where society is going if a 10 yr old boy with a disability cant play outside his own home in safety too.

Caz,

I can really really understand this.......boy it's a hard one.

Yes...it could happen to any kid....but yes...having ASD does make them the favourite target!!! (in my opinion)

Joe has his footballs taken off him....his tyres slashed on his bike...his bike hauled up a tree.....he is bullied all the time! I've legged it up the park on many occasion...steam coming out my ears.....and literally chased the kids round the park :devil:

Thing is......what do you do when you get hold of them?...(know what I'd like to do) You cant do diddly squat...if you do...you get the old bill at your door.

I have had the police involved......but it's not that straight forward. If the children who are bullying are 10 or under...there is nothing they can do. If they are older...than yes they can.....but I cant send the police round ALL the kids that are involved in Joe's bullying....there are so many.

I collared one lad who was "going to smack his f**king face in"...he is 12...Joe is 9. He stood there all smarmy and said "he shouldnt be a cocky little sod then...he's getting it" Talking to a lad like that...I cant say "Well Joseph has Aspergers and has trouble relating to other children. He calls you names because he cant help it...this is termed a tic.....please do not take this to heart...he is a kind and loving lad desperate to get out. He dosent mean to act over the top.....this is Joe's only way of expressing himself!"

Can you imagine :wacko: Do you think the responce will be " Thank you for telling me this...it is all quite clear now. I shall inform the rest of the children...and we will do our best to involve Joe the best we can" :lol: OF COURSE NOT....cruel little sod's they are.......it would be round here like lightening.....and he would then have to endure taunts about his condition.

So...what do you do? When you find out let me know will you?

I have now had to stop Joe going out.....because the more it happens...the worse it gets...the older they get....the worse results of the bullying. He is now running round the bungalow shouting..."shut up...you fat gay boy" to my 3 year old son. He has broken 4 of his toy's already...and he hates me beyond belief. I dont blame Joe for this...he must be very frustrated....but because the nastyness of others...he is going to suffer more!

I wish you all the very best and truely hope you have more success than I have with this issue.......keep me posted! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Lisa Blue x x x

I am very sorry this happened to your son,but i bet the lad who did it was scared stiff.This sounds so stupid but the other day my daughter was playing in front of my house.My daughter will only play dress up so always in some odd outfit or another and never has shoes on right feet.some 12yr old girl was shouting at my eldest your sisters a tramp and cant even put her shoes on right.I went up to her and with tears of anger streaming down my face reared almighty into her.I know i over reacted but dx recent i flew.At the moment I feel very protective all my little one said is mummy i look pretty dont I.