spookediam

Differenxe between an ED and sensory issues?

I have been thinking about my relationship with food recently. I usually blame my 'fussiness' on my aversion to many textures, and since I know my safe foods aren't all that healthy and can't eat them for all meals of the day, I really don't eat that much at all (maybe 1-2 small meals a day.)

I'm starting to wonder, at what point does it become an eating disorder? Yes I have issues with my weight and probably subconsciously avoid eating because of that, but I dislike eating mostly because of my sensory issues. What defines an eating disorder?

Please let me know if this isn't the best place to post this, and rhank you for your feedback. 

Perfectionism in autism can look like symptoms of an eating disorder (or as an updated term is used, 'disordered eating').

Unfortunately the only researcher I've come across that's studied disordered eating in autistics wasn't very open to questions or feedback on her research from autistics. In fact a couple of people (myself included) walked out of her talk in disgrace as she was so dismissive.

You might want to look up "selective eating in autism" as that concentrates on textures etc in foods.

But when it becomes a problem, would be when your health is adversely affected by what you're eating (and/or not eating). Only a medical professional can tell you that for sure. But there are also helplines for disordered eating if you are concerned.

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/get-information-and-support/get-help-for-myself/i-need-support-now/helplines/