Sign in to follow this  
deering

Endings and adult aspergers

Hi, I am a staff nurse working with an adult client with aspergers, who did have a mental illness. He is now going to be moving away from his local area to a placement which is better suited to his needs however the difficulty I am finding is any evidence based practice that looks at endings for a person with aspergers. The client has become very aquainted where he currently is, such as making friends, going to service user groups etc and it will be difficult for him once this changes. If any one can direct me on the net to any interventions I would be most grateful, also any advice will also be much appreciated. Thank You!!!!

I'd go for the same stratergies used for school transition. Photos of new locations and people, building layout and the like...just tailor it to the situation. Pop over to the education forum and have a look. Sorry to be brief, got to go out.

Sorry, I'll try and be a bit more in depth now.

I would suggest trying the following:

Introduce the concept some time in advance, discuss the sort of things that are likely to take place. Allow time for that to sink in.

Introduce the new setting gradually. Use photo's and diagrams - try and get them to build up a mental picture of where they are going.

Photo's of the people they will meet/deal with regularly, and those they will meet/deal with fairly often. Try to get them pictured in situ.

If at all possible arange some visits and allow time for them to have a good look around and ask questions.

Remember to introduce the fact that certain people will no longer be around and that things will be different in the new place.

Just a few ideas, not based on anything concrete to link with your situation exactly but reworked from the sort of things I'd suggest for getting a child used to the idea of changing to a new school. Hope it helps.

I have found you the following links vis the NAS, I don't know how useful they are going to be but I'll leave that to you:

http://www.nslij.com/body.cfm?id=2851&oTop...51&PLinkID=2793

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=104&a=3670 (NAS helpline details - they may be able to give you specific information related to your question directly)

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=544 (publication list of books aimed at adults with ASD /AS)

I am sure that others will be able to point you in the right direction too. I hope these links are worth looking into in more depth. Hopefully I have helped a bit. Good luck.

My hubby is self dx & when he has to face a new situation I find out as much as I can about it and try & predict for him the issues he's likely to meet.

If I can do a 'reccie' its better as he has a hang up about bins & loos & likes to know in advance what they're like.

Pictures / brochures of the new surroundings help - also maps, tourist info, train timetables etc

We have to think about it all the time at home too-

I had to go on a training course one Sat leaving him to take my daughter to her swimming lesson & he really appreciated me talking him through the whole process right down to where the lockers were in relation to the door etc. He was then able to ask me 'but what if this happens' & I could give him suggestions of how to handle it.

For him it's reducing the anxiety of the unknown by trying to gain familiarity in advance

Lx