Sign in to follow this  
Klou

Playing?

Inspired by the how do obsessions start thread I am interesting in how other peoples children play or how adult ASD/AS people played as children. I am beginning to think DS is obsessed with me. I can't go anywhere in the house alone. And I am :sick: that other peoples children the same age happily play in their bedrooms for an hour or so at a time. I wish.......

I am trying to work out how to make playing better for DS and work out what influences it.

He won't play in his room unless a friend comes round or I say we are playing in his room together. He seems to play better if the toys are on a table like they are at nursery or in the toy shop.

Why is this? Do anyone else's children do the same thing?

My son leaves everything out he likes, as he gets stressed finding things, he doesn't exactly play in his room, just lines everything up, moves it and lines it up again,but that doesn't last long. Only thing he plays on up there is his plug in game, its just a controller with 99 games built in.

My son doesn't play well with other children as everything has to be played his way or all hell breaks loose.

Guest flutter

mine has only jsut started "playing" alone

but is on puter in her room, and cos she cant get on this one,

she has never liked being alone,

but strangely she likes watching tv alone ?

Sorry if this is a ramble but Flutter I found your comment about the TV interesting...

When the psychologist came to assess James' AS at home he diagnosed ADHD after 1/2 hour with James in his bedroom - no distractions/siblings/TV - just James in his bedroom.

Apparently his eyes and ears tune into different things all the time which is why he finds it so difficult to concentrate on one thing - there at least 2 if not 4 messages getting to his brain constantly.

He explained that's why the TV works so well for him - both eyes and both ears can all tune in to the same thing and everything else pretty much gets blocked out!

I have to admit that since a baby the TV has been the only thing that ever got James to sit still more than 30 seconds (not an exaggeration!) in fact he could stay there for hours but the second you turned the TV off he was away again....

Lx