Sign in to follow this  
witsend

wasn't his fault after all

Hi - just wanted to get this off my chest. About 12 moths ago my son fell out with his 'freind' from round the corner. This boy is same age as my son and they have been freinds for about 5 years, their freindship had always been characterised by fallings out but they had always previously made up again quite quickly. The big break up happened because my sons freind accused him of stealing one of his PS2 games, this sort of thing was pretty commonplace on both sides and my stance had always been to let them sort it out themselves, however this last time this boys mum rang me to say my son had taken this game and it was a new game and her son wanted it back immediately! I don't know her that well but her tone was pretty nasty on the phone, I told her I'd ring her back when I'd spoken to my son. When I did speak to my son he was adamant that he had not taken the game, but when I rang her and told her this she refused to budge, and totally insisted my son had taken the game, because at the time one of us had to back down I decided to do so rather than let it escalate. Have to admit at the time I was quite upset re her attitude because I had frequantly had her son here to play, had taken him out and let him sleepover etc without her doing the same for mine. Anyway like I say someone had to back down and 'cos I did not want it to esacalate and because I could not be 100% sure my son hadn't taken the game I made my son return the game, which he swore was his (much to his great distress). The upshot was that my son and (former) freind stopped playing together anyway and my son was really upset by the whole thing, I suspect this boys Mum stopped him from calling for my son and he hasn't done so for the past year.

Earlier this week my son had seen this boy out and about and announced they were freinds again!! He then went on to tell me (unprompted) that apparently this boys brother had eventually confessed to taking the missing game and giving it to some other kid who then traded it in for another game! :tearful: The mum even told my son about it also and apologised to my son ( a year later!!).

I just feel dreadful about it all. I feel so bad that I didn't stick up more for my son at the time and that I didn't fully believe him, I also feel really angry with this woman for keping ti quiet this long and not ringing me to expalin/apologise. Now I have to put up with this child calling round again for my son knowing that he is always expecting to play here ( my son never gets invited there) and have to watch my son being happy about it all just 'cos he has a freind again!

Maybe I'm making mountains out of molehills here and I'm just being a bit petty after all this time, but I can't help it, I really am cross :angry:

Left to my own devices I think I would tell this kid where to go but then maybe I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face because my son is actually enjoying the company? :wacko:

Roll on September :(

gawd you must be gutted - I know I would be so mad ( with myself and the mum) - what a :wallbash: - not that but also galling not saying anything so your son has a "friend"

not long till September now.

Carol

:o ,........has he got his game back!...I think I would phone up boys mum and quite nicely say you had heard about this mix up :blink: .....see if she offers some apology.....and tell her just how upset your son has been over this incident.I,d let the boys continue to play but try maybe to not let them get as close.

Thanks for the replies - am calming down a bit now. Really can't face ringing the mother but will definately moniter this 'freindship' and like you said Suze stop them becoming 'so close'. Only a couple of weeks left of school hols, am prob one of the few people who welcome the dark night coming back :lol: No more playing out issues!

hello witsend,i also love dark nights,and i practically do a rain dance if it rains,definately no going out then!!i can understand how you feel about the boys mum,i wouldnt ring her up though,she knows she is in the wrong,she should have had decency to phone you when she found out, i also know how you feel about wanting him to have a friend,not long till sept now though,im counting the days!

am prob one of the few people who welcome the dark night coming back :lol:  No more playing out issues!

i also love dark nights,and i practically do a rain dance if it rains,definately no going out then!!

Hi hev and witsend - I too love darker nights and rainy days but .... I also then have to amuse J myself! :wacko: