Sign in to follow this  
tracey

controlling rages

It just makes me wonder just how much my daughter can control

her temper

We have had a few days away and she was with other teenagers

doing there own thing (she seemed to cope pretty well)

At the moment she is at a friends house for a couple of days (again ok)

When shes at home with me we can have days where shes lovely

but all the stress and anxiety of school and other stressful things seem to come out

when shes at home

Also her rages (which can be big) just happen at home

it sets me thinking is she saving them up for mum because she can.

Things got so bad a few weeks ago I was given the option of different medications

I now wonder if this is needed

I think she also gets pmt as we have a good couple of weeks followed by

a nightmare of a time

Advice anyone

T

Evening Primrose Oil!!!!

I am AS and have temper/anger management issues at times but without fail they are at their absolute WORST when I'm suffering with PMS (its recognised as a Syndrome now hence the S not the T for tension). Evening Primrose Oil has been my saving grace without shadow of a doubt and I would recommend it to any woman ASD or not who has these type of problems if there appears to be any kind of link to hormones at all. The change in me has been unbelievable-I no longer feel like my blood is boiling for no apparent reason for a week solid each month and like Im an erupting volcano if something does upset me, so long as I remember to keep the EPO in stock and take it as soon as I get any feelings of tetchiness, the problems are kept to a minimum.

Tracey a few things spring to mind on reading your post.

One is that many kids (ASD or not) do behave well with other people and in other places then 'let rip' once they are in the sanctity of their own home and with people who they trust. Another thing is that when ASDers are working hard to behave 'normally' they do literally store it all up for us parents to deal with (how lovely of them!!); this could be why your daughter has her melt downs with you and is fine elsewhere. Apparently we should be gratefull for this as it shows that they are finding ways of coping with their emotions when it counts! Yeehaaah! :thumbs: Seriously though if they are going to throw a wobbly then best at home than at a friend's house.

Pleasehelp recommending evening primrose for PMS is absolutely right, however some people can't take it. I know this because I'm one of them, evening primrose gives me migraine so if your daughter has ever suffered from recurring headaches (very common in ASD) or migraine it might be a good idea to consult your GP before giving evening primrose.

Another alternative is Omega 3 supplements which have been shown to be hightly beneficial for many ASDers (promoting concentration and calmness etc) and PMS.

Lauren

Thank you both for replies

My daughter has been taking omega 3 for afew weeks now

Ihave changed her from eyeq as I have read on previous posts eyeq has

evening primrose in and mixed with fish oils is not always suitable for asds?

Touching wood as I speak I can see slight difference since shes been on omega 3

T

My son is very much the same (though he won't be left with anyone so I don't have that break). He can only behave himself (which inlcudes all the rages...) if he feels safe, which is at home with me. Great, isn't it.... meltdowns galore, and yet school has wondered what I'm on about....

I have to say, that at the moment with the holidays he has been much better. I suppose the stress from school isn't there to build up, and he is more like a steam engine at home...letting off steam a little at the time instead of saving it all up and blowing.

Will the evening primrose also help boys to calm down? It might be worth a try, but yes he does suffer from headaches regularly?

yes I think the school holidays make a big difference to my daughters behaviour its much more relaxed

Idont know about evening primrose but im sure omega 3 (�1.70) wilkinsons

are making a difference (calmer)

T